Home brewing show/podcast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
I can't seem to submerse myself into enough info lately. Does anyone know of a good home brew show or podcast? I already watched all of the Home Brewer TV podcasts. It really wasn't that great but only one I knew of.

I listen to two- Basic Brewing Radio, and Brew Strong. They are both available on iTunes. I participate and listen to Final Gravity and I like it, but there seems to be a lot more information (and less goofing around) on the first two.

To this I would add Brad Smith's podcast from beersmith.com.

I've listened to a ton of the Brewing Network shows (mostly Brew Strong, CYBI, and the Sunday Session), and what I like about Brad is he's straightforward and to the point. Most of his podcasts are about a half hour, and contain the same amount of content as the hour long BN shows. Most of the BN shows have about 10 minutes of screwing around at the beginning, and at least 10 minutes worth of ads (which is OK - it keeps them free!). Also, I love JZ (especially BCS and Yeast), but I find that he gives the run-around on a lot of topics. Most likely it's because he knows SO much more about brewing than I do, but sometimes I'd like for him to be clearer on how he does things, realizing that we will take the parts that work for our system and leave those that don't.

Additionally, Brad hosts very talented people on each show. Recent guests have been Gordon Strong, JP, JZ, and Denny Conn. It's great to get different perspectives and specialty expertise.

I've never listened to the Basic Brewing radio shows. I'll have to check those out!

Also, I'd recommend subscribing to his e-newsletter. Comes about once a week and always contains interesting tidbits of info.

I listen to two- Basic Brewing Radio, and Brew Strong. They are both available on iTunes. I participate and listen to Final Gravity and I like it, but there seems to be a lot more information (and less goofing around) on the first two.

Oh, Final Gravity is still going? Awesome.

I listened to the first couple and really like them, and then there was quite a long gap after the last episode, so I figured it was done or something. I like the podcast, because it feels like a bunch of people I would hang out with, just drinking and shooting the **** about beer/homebrewing.

Great news! Thanks Yoop.

Brewing TV has made a commitment to do more homebrewing episodes and less pro brewer episodes for the next two months or so.

Basic Brewing is a good one.

Brewstrong has good info..but Jamil Zainasheff gets on my nerves..There is definitely a lot of unrelated blabbering in that podcast...plus 3-4 commercial breaks with 3-4 of the same commercials each time...but that said, you can still learn from it. www.thebrewingnetwork.com is the website you can stream it from if you don't have iTunes

I listen to Basic Brewing Radio, Brew Strong, Beersmith's Podcast, and TBN Jamil's Show CYBI. I watch Basic Brewing Video and Brewing TV.

I honestly don't understand the commercials on the brewing network. They know we can just fast forward through them right? Those shows are way better on 2x speed btw. JZ uhhhh.... Stops his uhhhhh train..... Of uhhhhh though a lot. 2x speed makes him and Palmer sound normal.

Basic Brewing has a lot of good info, there's something about James Spencer that doesn't work for me, but that's just a personal thing, and again, lots of good info there.

I love the Brewing Network stuff. But as others have said... there's a tendency towards some goofing around. Particulary on the Sunday Session, which is at least 50% BS. That said, its BS that I find to be hilarious. So that's what I listen to the most.

Marlowefire said:
I honestly don't understand the commercials on the brewing network. They know we can just fast forward through them right? Those shows are way better on 2x speed btw. JZ uhhhh.... Stops his uhhhhh train..... Of uhhhhh though a lot. 2x speed makes him and Palmer sound normal.

A lot of people listen live and some don't fast forward, just like TV. I have dvr, but still watch commercials occasionally

Basic Brewing has a lot of good info, there's something about James Spencer that doesn't work for me, but that's just a personal thing, and again, lots of good info there.

He is definitely pretty bland...when I first tried to get into brewing I listed to one or two of the basic brewing podcasts and they just lost me..too slow, too bland. So I switched to Brew Strong which caught my attention.

But now that I'm more experienced and knowledgeable about brewing I definitely appreciate Basic Brewing more than Brew Strong..it gets right to the point.

I've just recently started sorting through brewing podcasts, and from what I've seen your right, the Brewing Network has a lot of filler material. I also think Brew Strong has a little bit of arrogance to it that doesn't benefit the listener. I like a brewing show that is to the point, and from what I've heard so far I like the beersmith show.

To this I would add Brad Smith's podcast from beersmith.com.

I've listened to a ton of the Brewing Network shows (mostly Brew Strong, CYBI, and the Sunday Session), and what I like about Brad is he's straightforward and to the point. Most of his podcasts are about a half hour, and contain the same amount of content as the hour long BN shows. Most of the BN shows have about 10 minutes of screwing around at the beginning, and at least 10 minutes worth of ads (which is OK - it keeps them free!). Also, I love JZ (especially BCS and Yeast), but I find that he gives the run-around on a lot of topics. Most likely it's because he knows SO much more about brewing than I do, but sometimes I'd like for him to be clearer on how he does things, realizing that we will take the parts that work for our system and leave those that don't.

Additionally, Brad hosts very talented people on each show. Recent guests have been Gordon Strong, JP, JZ, and Denny Conn. It's great to get different perspectives and specialty expertise.

I've never listened to the Basic Brewing radio shows. I'll have to check those out!

Back