LEAKY rubbermaid 10gallon mash tun- advice needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starrfish

Reaction score
I picked up a cooler conversion kit for my 10 gallon rubbermaid beverage cooler (orange with molded handels) from Northern Brewer, Followed instructions... but I have a leak from between cooler and valve.:mad:

Any one else have a trickle on this set up?

Any suggestions on additional gaskets, positioning of parts or adding substituting original inside gasket. I still have the original gasket from inside cooler factory spout. It looks slightly larger than the small gasket supplied.

Here is link to item and instructions are on the same page:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/bronze-cooler-valve-kit-w-barb.html

I'll be starting a CPVC manifold soon but want to get a tight seal first. I will be doing a BIAB in the pot or a modified BIAB batch sparge in this cooler this weekend (depending on if I can get this leak under control quickly and easily.) so I'm not in a rush for the manifold, just leak control.

thanks in advance!

I had to put 4-5 flat washers on the OUTSIDE of the cooler to get a tight fit.

OK, thought it seemed loose.

Do you happen to know the inner diameter of the washers? I didn't bring the valve setup with me today, If not no big deal.

Thanks! And since it's on the outside the cooler they don't need to be stainless correct?

No you can use the regular flat washers from HD on the outside. They are 3/4 or 7/8 I think.

I had to use four washers on my own conversion also. Not the NB one, but one I pieced together based off of FlyGuy's DIY. Good luck!

I would personally use the inner seal that you took off from the cooler. Obviously we know it works as the manufacturer of the cooler installed it.

I too made mine own using Fly Guys thread, and using that piece plus (4) 5/8" FENDER washers on the outside I was able to get everything tight. I tested it by placing HOT water into the cooler all the way to the top, placed lid on and left it for 2 hours. Not one drop.

Take a look at Fly Guys thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

not sure what size the NB stuff is, but take the part with you to the hardware store incase it's not the 5/8th" ID washer.
i was watching the video on the internet about the NB kit and it seems larger then mine (flyguys)

I would personally use the inner seal that you took off from the cooler. Obviously we know it works as the manufacturer of the cooler installed it.

+1

I did this with two different coolers and haven't had any leakage problems.

I took one washer from the inside off, and replaced the original seal. no more leaks. shank seemed kind of short, I don't think I would have been able to fit that many washers to get a tight fit. It became snug with original plug gasket and 1 washer.

Thanks for the help!

I had a little leak in mine, after some searching here, I ended up making a washer out of an old baby bottle nipple for the inside- silicone, BPA free and works great. My feeling is with the coolers is I want it to be leak free from the inside to make sure it doesn't leak into the wall of the cooler.

I haven't done a Bobby_M-style rebuild of the entire bulkhead, but I wonder if something along those lines is the only realistic way to expect a perfect seal.

I've tried several permutations of washers/nuts/gaskets, and I've never gotten my cooler totally leak free. I look at the cooler's sloppy, uneven plastic seams, I see how the hot water affects the plastic, and it kinda makes me give up hope and just tolerate the trickle.

(This is my backup mash tun, otherwise I'd probably be a little more worried.)

It seemed to me the whole in the cooler was slightly too big for the red northern brewer kit w/washers alone. With original plug gasket back in place, along with red gasket supplied from kit, I've been leak free for 2 days using 1 metal washer on the inside and no extra outside.

I know I am late to the party, but I was having the same problem on my Home Depot cooler. I couldn't get a water tight seal on it, no matter the combination of silicone o-rings, washers and tightness.

I had taken apart a 1/2 inch water heater supply hose for my SS braid, so I boiled the end of the inner hose, slipped it over the middle pipe and wedged it in the spigot port. Seems to work fine with no leaks.

Back