My kegerator lid got stolen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
I was moving my kegerator from my old house to my new house yesterday and stopped at the grocery store to pick up some dinner. It was early evening, light out, nice part of town so I didn't think anything of running in the store for 5 minutes with the kegerator in the back. Five minutes later I returned to see that the lid and collar, including my Perlick faucets and shanks had been completely ripped off the hinges. I don't know how or why someone would do this, but its absurdity is not lost on me. Thusly, I am left with a chest freezer body with no lid and no faucets.

Now that the seething anger has subsided, I am wondering how to best rebuild. I am thinking that I could turn it into a bar top type setup with a three tap tower coming out. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with completely removing the lid and using a sheet of plywood or some other substance along with insulation to replace it. I don't think theres much chance of finding a replacement lid for a 10 year old chest freezer. This is a ridiculous situation, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear that... guess it wasn't the "nice part of town" and if it was, I sure wouldnt wanna go in the "Not nice part of town". Yikes!

This is ridiculous man. Sorry to hear of such an odd crime. Keep a lookout on Craigslist. and if you see it tell them you're interested. Then take the cops and your lidless freezer with you.

For a replacement lid, Some just build their own from the start with rigid insulation and 3/4" Plywood. Help customize to whatever you need it to be. You can buy replacement weather stripping for the seal at any store.

The perlick loss is most certainly the tragedy here.

I returned to see that the lid and collar, including my Perlick faucets and shanks had been completely ripped off the hinges.

That just makes me think it is laying along side the road somewhere between your house and the store.

Grocery store should have some kind of camera outside. Ask them to review the tape to see if the thing was attached when you pulled in to the lot.

It definitely didn't blow off, I walked around the side of the truck when I got to the store just to make sure everything was riding ok. I'm going to look on craigslist just to make sure they don't pop up, I just hate to lose those Perlicks.

I guess the more important question on this post is, will I be cool to just rebuild a heavily insulated lid out of ply.

Yeah, I want to do a plywood base and then build a bar top around it with either a tower of coffin box. I'm thinking with sufficient insulating and weather stripping, I should have no problem at all.

Yeah, I want to do a plywood base and then build a bar top around it with either a tower of coffin box. I'm thinking with sufficient insulating and weather stripping, I should have no problem at all.

I have seen other threads where they did just that. You should be fine but sorry you have to do it at all.

This Forum holds the key to rebuilding it. I'm sure it will turn out for the best. Karma will take care of the thief.

Latest posts

Back