Meet my new puppy, Porter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super cute dog. One of my buddies named his Porter lso, although it is a bull mastiff so makes less sense

Sweet....get that little guy in the water was soon as possible.

Here's our 4 year old Golden Olivia

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

Looks Irish to me.

(Irish in greyhounds means a white blaze on the chest and some white on the feet. No idea why.)

Cute! Just remember to be careful when you guys brew together you dont drop any hops or hop pellets on the floor. The extract kits I use post a warning that hops are dangerous for dogs.

Congrats to you and Porter both! Make sure you post pics on this thread as he grows...keep a list of things he chews/destroys, too! :D

I just picked him up from the rescue today and he's my best bud already. I bought him a few toys to chew on so he doesn't ruin anything else. He knows to pee outside already, but crapping is another issue. He is 8 weeks old. When we brew together i will be sure he is out of harm's way.

I just picked him up from the rescue today and he's my best bud already. I bought him a few toys to chew on so he doesn't ruin anything else. He knows to pee outside already, but crapping is another issue. He is 8 weeks old. When we brew together i will be sure he is out of harm's way.

Awesome. My best bud loves spent grain, both in dog biscuits and in his dish with dog food. I bet yours will too!

That puppy looks almost exactly like the puppy we got a few months ago ( Bosco ).

Have fun!! Bosco is nothing but trouble!!!!

walk him. walk him until he passes out, then walk him some more.

We figured out very quickly our 'mutt' was mostly border collie (an ULTRA high-energy breed) and that she wanted to be good and not chew on things or run around all the time, but she just had so much energy. When we started going on several walks a day she became much, much easier to live with.

At one point we were going on three walks a day, each for 45-60 minutes, for a total of about 6 miles a day. We don't have to do that nearly as often now since she plays with the neighbor dogs during the day, but for a while walks were the only thing that could get out enough energy. After we'd walk we were able to do our training and such because she wasn't so wired that she couldn't sit still.

Porter doesnt have all of his distemperment shots yet so they said not to take him on walks where strange animals may have been.

yeah, our vet said the same thing, the only problem is the vet didn't have to live with truman. We did. We just tried to be hyper-vigilant about what truman sniffed or tried to eat. We stuck mostly to our neighborhood.

Walking is just one option, but the basic idea is to wear him out somehow. It really does make living with them much easier.

Haha! I saw this and almost fell out of my chair. I thought I was so clever....

My dog's name is Porter too.

He has been biting fingers and clothes a lot lately. I bought him a nylabone for puppies and it made him forget about fingers for the time being.

You might check out kong toys. There are many different ones, but the origional ones are great. Basically you stuff the toy with something the dog likes and then the dog has to figure out how to get the treat out. It's great for mental stimulation as well as chewing on.

Here's what we did with my lab who is now 7 months:

Every time he nips or grabs something he's not supposed to stick one of his toys in his mouth. It takes a while but worked for us.

It's gonna be a pain to brew with him in the house. He'll have to go in his kennel but that's in my kitchen where most of the brewing goes down.

Back