Cider backsweeten question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
So I made a 6gal batch of hard cider. I added 4lb of brown sugar, and had an OG reading of 1.085.

It's been fermenting for about 4 weeks, and the fermentation has finally slowed, so I decided to take an OG reading and a quick taste. I'm down to about 1.001, and the taste is very good. My problem is, I am going to take half of my batch and potas sorbate and heat up for a party with spices and all, the other half I'll let dry out completely and bottle.

My questions is, when tasting it now, it seems a little sour, dry, and VERY boozy. would it be wrong to get the whole 3 gal and add a little sugar before putting in jugs and putting in the fridge?

This is all new to me so if anything I said is wrong or bad for cider, PLEASE let me know.

Sounds pretty similar to a batch I did last month. OG 1.082. When bottling time came it tasted VERY boozy also. I panicked and backsweetened a bunch to cover the alcohol. After only 2 weeks I'm already regretting what I did. The cider mellowed out a whole lot in the bottle and the alcohol became much less obvious, however the sweetness remains much higher then my personal taste.

Not a total loss, but lesson learned. Go easy on the backsweetening, you cannot remove the added sugar but you can always age it longer.

Yes, I'm going to let the gals that I'm carbing ferment out and bottle as is. By the time summer rolls around, it will be spot on.

My question is about the cider I'm going to kill the ferment on, heat, and serve with a cin stick. It should be a little sweeter I think. I'm just afraid of back sweetening because it's got good taste, just a little stout

Oh, I misunderstood your question.

Here's how I mull cider-
Cider plus spices (cinnamon, cloves, sometimes ginger and peppercorns) in pot.
Cover over low heat & bring to just below a simmer.
Simmer until desired spiciness is attained. (about 20-30min for me)
Remove spices.
Add brown sugar, to taste, typically about 1 Tbsp per 750mls of dryer cider.

Since the goal to please a crowd typically I sweeten it a bit more than I would for myself.

Back