Help with city water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbman29

Reaction score
I received some numbers from my city's water. They emailed me over some results. I've downloaded Bru'n Water and EZ water calculator but I don't think I have all of the data needed to complete my water profile. Can anyone else more knowledgeable in this area take a look and tell me if I can use any of those calculators with these numbers or should I request some additional data?

pH-7.8
Alkalinity- 105 mg/l
Hardness- 130 mg/l
Chlorine- .8-1.2 mg/l
Fluoride- 1.0 mg/l
Iron- <.08 mg/l
Manganese- <.03 mg/l
Phosphate- .60 mg/l
Sodium- 16 mg/l

Can anyone else more knowledgeable in this area take a look and tell me if I can use any of those calculators with these numbers or should I request some additional data?
Yes. In other words you can use these numbers but you should request additional data for a more accurate picture. From these numbers we can tell that the reprort is missing a total of approximately 1.2 mEq/L of sulfate and chloride. What we can't tell is whether in fact it is missing 1.2 mEq/L sulfate and no chloride or 1.2 mEq/L chloride with no sulfate or anything in between. So just assume you have 0.6 mEq/L of each (29 mg/L SO4-- and 21 mg/l Cl-). As these are fairly modest amounts (though remember that you sulfate could actually be 58 mg/L and your chloride 0 or your chloride 42 mg/L and sulfate 0) not having precise numbers isn't that much of a problem and doesn't effect pH estimates at all.

The other big problem is that you know that the sum of the calcium and magnesium concentrations are 2.6 mEq/L but, as with SO4-- and Cl- you don't know if it is all calcium or all magnesium or a mix. So do the same thing. Assume 1.3 mEq/L of each which is 26 mg/L calcium and 15 mg/L magnesium. The calcium has a small effect on pH and the magnesium an even smaller one and, of course, if you want the 50 mg/L that so many people have the amount of supplement necessary to reach that level is going to have to be wagged but at least you will have an idea as to what is going on and predicted mash pH's can be obtained while you await further information from a Ward Labs (or other) test.

Back