Can I add yeast slurry to bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I have a brown ale that still hasn't carbed and it's been about 2 months or more. It tasted great when I was first putting it into bottles, but during the bottling process something has happened. I've dumped about 6 bottles so far after tasting them. Absolutely no carbonation and they taste like malt extract (this was an extract recipe) with a touch of yeast taste to it. I have tried putting them in warmer spots and swirling the bottles, but I fear I'm going to end up dumping the whole batch bottle by bottle. My OG was around 1.046 and FG was about 1.017 I believe. The fermentation on this batch was the craziest i've had so far, but I didn't think I burned the yeast out. So when I'm making a starter for my next batch, could I add some of the starter to each bottle to see if that improves the beer? If so, how much do I add? There is yeast settled at the bottom of the bottles, but is it dead yeast? It sucks because I think the recipe turned out pretty good otherwise. Another reason to look at kegging I guess.

Maybe a silly question but it sounds like you might have forgotten the priming sugar.

If so then no carbonation is to be expected and you would be better off adding a couple carb tabs to each bottle and resealing them. Adding yeast slurry would be very messy and the potential for contamination would be much higher. And if the new yeast had nothing to munch on you would still get no carbing.

I did add priming sugar, I believe 5 oz. I do have a very minuscule amount of phffst when open the bottle, but the beer has basically no carb to it.

You could try getting some dry yeast and putting it in a few bottles and recapping them. Wait a week or two and see if that helps. I really doubt it's your yeast though. Although it's not too hard to damage your yeast enough to impair your primary fermentation, it's difficult to kill your yeast completely, which is what would have had to be the case if it didn't carb up in 2 months.

I would add some more priming sugar to a few bottles, and then add some dry yeast to a few other bottles and wait 2 weeks and see what happens to each group. I'd put them in a bucket or something in case these "experiments" explode.

Maybe your caps aren't sealing tight enough. Wing cappers can lose their mojo. Weak caps = lack of fizz.

I don't use bleach, so I don't think that's it. I do use a wing capper, but I try to really clamp down and get a good seal. Sometimes I get a little circle on top of the cap from pressing too hard maybe, would that be bad? Also, I did make one slight error when brewing, I went to pour the yeast nutrient into the wort and pretty much the whole tube fell in. Could that have an affect? Could I try something simple like a bread yeast to add in, since I don't have any brewing dry yeast on hand?

Back