Hello from Central Jersey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2H6O

Primary
Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hi as I am new to the board and to home brewing. I have just finished reading some literature and am in the process of creating my batch record for my first adventure. Hopefully in two weeks I will have my ingredients and will be celebrating Independence Day with my first home brew

Salute!

Welcome, Jersey!

If you're planning on drinking stuff you've made for the 4th of July, have you considered a wheat beer? You can have a great American Wheat in the five weeks between now and the Fourth. One week/10 days in primary, 3 weeks in bottles, a few days to chill.

Anything other than that will be pretty tough to pull off for a newbie. Wheat is a pretty forgiving style, plus since you expect wheat to be a bit cloudy, you can forego a secondary and bottle it up once you reach a stable terminal gravity.

If you're up for suggestions, and if I may permit myself, I might recommend my own Minute Wheat recipe as a good first brew. It was wildly popular (even with a pro Master Brewer), and ready to drink (from the keg) in 12 days. If I'd bottled it, it would've taken the full five weeks that you have before the 4th of July.

Good luck, Jersey!

Thanks for the welcome and the insight....I am in the North Brunswick area for those that asked...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Herm. NJ feels a lot bigger than it really is because of all the traffic.

I'm always willing to help new brewers out and being close makes it all that much easier. C2H60, let me know if you need any guidance.

Thanks Bobby - nice to know some good resources are available. I have just read most of Palmer's book and will be starting out with his extract recipe for the pale ale to get my feet wet.

Jason

Thanks for the info khiddy - I figured my time line was aggressive.....I will definitely check out the recipe!

Back