transporting fermeting brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be cautious! There will be lots of dissolved CO2 in those primaries, and the agitation from moving them will release a lot. If you cork them and try to move them, you are going to have a problem. Ask me how I know.... :)

Can you rack to a secondary and agitate them a bit before you go? Unless they are still actively fermenting, this would be your best bet.

Drunkensatyr said:
Go get 3 solid stoppers and tape them onto the carboys/buckets
Don't seal them if they are still out gassing they'll explode for sure. Even the sloshing around in the vehicle is going to cause more outgassing.

I would place towels around the airlocks. If it gets violent inside the brew will come out of the airlocks or even push them out. The towels will soak up the brew and there'll be less to clean up. ;)

Good luck.

Just pretend they're your three kids in the back seat. Seatbelts work. I brewed a batch in Arizona once and brought it back 240 miles still in the primary. Everything was fine. The towel idea around the airlock should work just fine.

Back