Brutus Heat issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tested the impinged jet burner to see if I needed to go larger than the 6" size. Safe to say it would be crazy to go larger. With the gas on full the entire area around the burner and the keggle were glowing red. The picture doesn't really show how much. I cranked it down significantly and finished the boil. Now my SS frame is really discolored. Is this an issue since I filled in the area between the two top bars? I left a stiff wire in the frame to pull the pump and solenoid wires through, but now I'm concerned about melting them. Any other Brutus or similar owners have this level of heat issues? Anyone know where to pick up high temp wire? Is the burner too low and spreading the heat too much?

BurnerSized.jpg

HotSmall.jpg

I tested the impinged jet burner to see if I needed to go larger than the 6" size. Safe to say it would be crazy to go larger. With the gas on full the entire area around the burner and the keggle were glowing red. The picture doesn't really show how much. I cranked it down significantly and finished the boil. Now my SS frame is really discolored. Is this an issue since I filled in the area between the two top bars? I left a stiff wire in the frame to pull the pump and solenoid wires through, but now I'm concerned about melting them. Any other Brutus or similar owners have this level of heat issues? Anyone know where to pick up high temp wire? Is the burner too low and spreading the heat too much?

The ten tip burners work great don't they...

The top of Brutus gets scalding hot, as just about any brew stand top does...

No wiring should be anywhere near the top frame and please do not attempt it my friend. I ran all my internal wiring in the lower frame on Brutus where it is nice and cool...

Wow, dang... gas heat, metal stand... Id be in the hospital every time I brewed.

Wow, dang... gas heat, metal stand... Id be in the hospital every time I brewed.

Natural gas, can't wait to NEVER trade out another $32 propane tank. Metal stand, what else to make it out of? Wood is actually a bit more dangerous I'm thinking. I will need to be careful though.

$32??! It costs me $16 or so to get mine refilled down the road at the local Shell!!

And... don't get me started on wooden stands! :D

Electric is the answer... heat is only in the kettle, not in the stand and all around you

Latest posts

Back