Two Newbie questions: Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderRat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled some of my first batch of cider in Gallon jugs. There is sediment in the bottom of the jug. I would like to filter it out to offer someone a clearer cider so that they don't get turned off to the home brew. :)fro: I can hear you screaming at the computers, this is home made expect sediment.)

What have any of you done to filter at the time of drinking to clear the sediment out of the liquid?

Then as a follow up: Do you filter filter before bottling? If so what filtering process and equipment do you use?

Thanks for your help in advance
CiderRat

Did you carbonate your cider? Anything that is bottle conditioned (carbonated in the bottle) will have sediment.

For uncarbonated ciders and wine, the answer is super simple. Time. With time, all the stuff that causes cloudiness (like suspended yeast and proteins) and haze settles out. I rack my wines and ciders about every 30-45 days, until no new sediment (called lees) settle out, then bottle (or sometimes I wait a year or so to bottle anyway). No sediment at all in any of my wines or ciders, and they are crystal clear, just like a commercial white wine.

You can purchase filtering equipment, but it is very expensive, and the cider/wine must be clear before filtering. The filtering does remove all yeast, though, so it really polishes it nicely. I don't filter, since I've heard that it can also strip flavor out of the wine.

I usually don't bottle any meads, wines, or ciders until they are about a year old. Sometimes older, sometimes younger, though depending on what it is.

YooperBrew -
Thanks for the reply. I wish I cold have let it sit for a long time. But it was my first batch and I was thirsty :mug:.

I bought the Vinbrite after the first batch was bottled. I was thinkg of using it to filter when prep'ing for bottling my second batch. But I did not have the courage to use it. There were too many unknowns in the instructions. Maybe I will have to make some smaller batches and test the filtering process.

Again thanks.
CiderRat

Back