Help with Brewclub Name Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Hello,

In the process of starting a homebrew club and I think the name is pretty important. I'm cool with it being an acronym of some sort but it doesn't have to be. Here are a few details about the location of our club-

Northwest Pennsylvania

City of Meadville

Crawford County

The name doesn't even have to speak to the location but it's just for ideas if someone has a good acronym idea.

I've looked at the names of a lot of other clubs from the AHA but wanted to get some ideas from the creative folks at HBT.

Got any good ideas?? Thanks.

I see you like the Sabres ...

How about Crawford Sabres or Meadville Sabres?

Where you going for something fearsome or something funny?

You can re-arrange the letters of "Meadville Crawford County" to spell "Vile Cruddy Meat Cow".

oh, wait. You said acronym, not anagram.

Just don't go with North American Zymurgical Information Society

Trust me...attendance was high, but not too many of them were homebrewers.
They did have their own uniforms though

I'm not a big fan of forced acronyms. I understand it's the defacto standard for naming brewclubs but if I were starting one from scratch it wouldn't be an acronym that makes a cute homebrew based word unless it wasn't forced. Some of the ones out there are pretty clever, but others are horribly convoluted for the sake of acronym.

I think a good homebrew club name describes the general home base location and the fact that you're a homebrew club. Boring maybe, but practical.

Also, will it only be for beer brewing or will it be for all sorts of fermented bevs? Zymurgy is a beer thing. Meadville is too local maybe to be in the name?

Crawford County Homebrewers
Homebrewers of Crawford County

I'm not a big fan of forced acronyms. I understand it's the defacto standard for naming brewclubs but if I were starting one from scratch it wouldn't be an acronym that makes a cute homebrew based word unless it wasn't forced. Some of the ones out there are pretty clever, but others are horribly convoluted for the sake of acronym.

I think a good homebrew club name describes the general home base location and the fact that you're a homebrew club. Boring maybe, but practical.

Also, will it only be for beer brewing or will it be for all sorts of fermented bevs? Zymurgy is a beer thing. Meadville is too local maybe to be in the name?

I have to agree with the acronyms. My local brew club is just Forest City Brewers. It's named that way because Rockford used to be Forest City when it was first established.

I totally agree with what you're saying here. I want to stay away from the acronym unless a member or someone here comes up with a really good unforced one.

Pinch My Cake Homebrew Club.

I've been trying to get the other two guys that live near me to form a club and name it Pinch My Cake Homebrew Club after one of them asked the other if he wanted to pinch his cake (you know...to share a yeast cake). Seems to be a non-starter for them...so maybe some other group could use it.

NorthYeastern PA homebrewers?
Marcellus Ale Brewers? (for those who don't know: a large swath of PA was recently found to be flush with natural gas in a formation called the Marcellus Shale)

If you are going to name it after a town or county, decide if you are serving just the town, or serving the whole county. It would be more welcoming to those outside the community if you named it after the county, rather than a town in which they don't live.

Crawford Area League of Professional Homebrewers

(name contradicts itself by proclaiming to be professional AND Homebrew. And it tends to conjure up images of the female leg in my mind for a bonus.)

Founding members of the club should name it so as to take ownership of it. If you can't agree on a name then you might have trouble keeping it going as an entity. Use a simple temporary name just to get the ball rolling.

Back