HBT R/C Pilots check in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caspio

Reaction score
For the first time in over 5 years, I dusted off the RC equipment and went flying last night. During college I was too poor, and lately brewing has been sucking away all the hobby $$. Anyway, forgot how much of a blast it is to fly. I know I've seen other people post before, so who all on here flies R/C?

Last night I just got out the foamie wing. I also have a thermal glider and gas trainer, but those are a bit more of a pain since i'd have to find a bigger space to fly.

Also, if anyone wants to lend me their expertise or point me towards an HBT equivalent RC forum, that'd be great. The old nimh packs I used to use for the wing are pretty much shot. Right before I quit flying I upgraded to a brushless motor and ESC. I didn't go lipo because they were pretty much brand new at the time and super expensive, but the ESC is compatible. If i'm going to have to buy new batteries anyway, I might as well get a charger and go lipo now that they're not quite as spendy. I don't have any idea though what specs i'd be looking for on the pack or what the best online vendor is.

My first passion is R/C stuff, but the homebrew makes the time out in the garage just that much more enjoyable ;)

RCGroups.com is an awesome site for rc stuff. What kinda pack are you looking for, I have at least one 3s 2200mah pack I could give you to get you hooked on the power they make compared to the old batts.

Don

I haven't flown in about 4 years. I was pretty deep into before I bought my first house.
I need to go fly again. I bought one of those little E-flight blade helicopters last fall to satisfy my RC urges. I second the RCGroups forums. Great bunch of people over there.

I had just gotten into nano edf jets before I got my house. Those little things are a blast!

Here are a few pics.
firs tone is a full-house pattern plane that was built from a kit designed by one of the members of RCGroups.com. THe second one is a couple of home made blucor foam planes and the third is a F4D-1 Skyray nano edf kit.

_MG_0396.jpg

_MG_0401.jpg

_MG_0402.jpg

What kinda pack are you looking for, I have at least one 3s 2200mah pack I could give you to get you hooked on the power they make compared to the old batts.

Don

That's part of the problem. Because LiPos were still so expensive when I last flew, I never really researched them. Now I'm interested, but I don't even know where to start.

The foam wing I have is a Zagi 400x. The stock speed 400 motor was replaced with an AstroFlite .020 brushless, and the ESC was swapped out for a castle creations phoenix 25. I've been emailing with the folks at castle, and they said that the esc should be lipo compatible, but it's old enough they're recommending I send it in and for $25 they'll swap it with a brand new one that's running the latest software.

The spec sheet for the phoenix 25 says it can do lipos up to 3s when bec is enabled. I don't really even know what the 3s means.

Edit: stock zagi battery packs are 1700mah Nimh's at (I think) 9.6v

3S stands for 3 3.7V lipo cells wired in series.

Here are some rough specs for that motor and different props.

Expected Performance with 5.5 x 4 MAS prop

Battery Amps Watts Rpm
2 Lithium 14 amps 110 watts 17,300 rpm
8 Nicads 17 amps 154 watts 19,200 rpm
3 Lithium 23 amps 259 watts 22,400 rpm
10 Nicads 26 amps 312 watts 23,500 rpm

Expected Performance with 6 x 4 APC-E Prop

Battery Amps Watts Rpm
2 Lithium 17 amps 136 watts 15,900 rpm
8 Nicads 21 amps 187 watts 17,500 rpm
3 Lithium 27 amps 304 watts 19,600 rpm

The combo highlighted in red is probably what I would try.
Weigh one of your current battery packs and then substitute
a 3s lipo of similar weight so that you can obtain proper cg easily.

Something like this would probably do the trick.
Hobbycity Online R/C Hobby Store : ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 3S1P 20C $19.75

The spec sheet for the phoenix 25 says it can do lipos up to 3s when bec is enabled. I don't really even know what the 3s means.

Edit: stock zagi battery packs are 1700mah Nimh's at (I think) 9.6v

I have a Typhoon that has been collecting dust for a while. I moved to TX two years ago and haven't flown since I have been here. Maybe it's time for me to dust off the sucker or maybe I will start off with my Easy Star to remember how to fly.

Weigh one of your current battery packs and then substitute
a 3s lipo of similar weight so that you can obtain proper cg easily.

Something like this would probably do the trick.
Hobbycity Online R/C Hobby Store : ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 3S1P 20C $19.75

Man, these packs are so much cheaper than when they first came around. Thanks for all the info. I actually am currently balancing too far forward, even with the pack all the way at the back of the tray. A pack that's a little lighter would definitely help things out. Any recommendations for chargers? The setup I have now is Nimh/NiCd only.

edit: zomg 3000 mAh. With the state my packs are currently in, I'm lucky if I'm seeing 1000 mAh. I really do need to upgrade to lipo.

Here's the beast
IMG_2902.JPG

ignore the wrinkles and other battle damage, she's had a rough life :cross:

I can't find my original receipt, so I have no idea what prop that is. Numbers on the prop say 5x5.4 (pitch?) and 5540 (model no, or just pitch again?)

Back