Can I use an old Furnace Burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salad 419

Reaction score
I just disassembled a gas furnace from my house and have the burner from it. Do you think I could just buy one of those Propane Regulator kits from the local hardware store and hook it up and everything would be good???
Or is this a stupid idea?

I already have a cheap turkey fryer, but if I had two burners, I could make more beer :)

Sure, That was my first burners too. It's lots of heat for very few $. I just made a stand for it and mounted it inside. Make sure it is strong though because it could be holding a good amount of weight.

A word or two of caution: If your furnace burns natural gas (methane) then the orifice size will likely be larger than those needed for propane. Propane is essentially more dense, so less gas is required. You need the right size holes and correct size tubing in the venturi to get the air to gas proportions right for good combustion, and to keep the fire where it belongs.

You can get a legitimate propane burner for not too much, as below:

PROPANE COOKER WITH ONE BUNER -CAST - Agri Supply

You can get a legitimate propane burner for not too much, as below:

PROPANE COOKER WITH ONE BUNER -CAST - Agri Supply

Just as a point of interest, I have that very burner, and it can be easily converted to natural gas by drilling out the orifice. With NG mine just barely has the power to bring 6.5 gallons to a boil, so I've been using it to heat my HLT. For the price, it's a very useful item. The built-in valve allows a pretty wide range of control, something I've not been able to achieve with my other NG burners.

Latest posts

Back