Plastic 1/6 bbl pub kegs- anyone tried em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine a lot. Really light and easy. You will need replacement an o ring. I found a good replacement at my local hardware store. A little beefier than the one that came with it. See photo below.

photo.jpg

Just an update: I have used the pubkegs for several fermentations and am hooked on them. I have not used them for long-term storage, but have no worries about several months storage in them. They have a PET plastic bonded with an O2 barrier plastic.
I have NOT used them pressurized.
I have used them only with a rubber stopper + airlock. No couplers involved, it is as simple as a glass carboy but with no stress about breakage and no stress about the cost of replacing it.

In response about plastic pails, most food sources in Japan seem to use tins for delivery. Familiar white 5gallon pails that cooking oil would arrive in for NA restaurants is replaced by square tins. Buying a bucket costs roughly 30 bucks and these kegs are free from any craft beer place. The craft beer places have to pay to get rid of them so are more than happy to give them away for free.

On another note: I noticed when serving from them at the restaurant I work at, there is often plenty of yeast in certain breweries' pubkegs... If I were interested in doing it, I suppose I could serve off of one, then carefully depressurize and remove the valve and harvest the yeast. Some people harvest and build starters from bottles, but this would be a hell of a lot more yeast. I should add that liquid yeast in Japan is also expensive and has to ship from the US or Europe, and paying to dispose of the plastic pubkeg is cheaper than the cost to buy a vial from whitelabs.

Still using the kegs I started with last year my only draw back is I'm only setup to use one at a time--there's been a couple times it would take a few days before I can get it on the Co2--I've only damaged one o-ring so far--didn't feel like cleaning a couple last spring and just pitched em in the recycle pile on the curb--have one I put garbage bags in for trash in the garage and I even composted in one--what's nice is I don't worry about damaging them like I do my cornie's
I'm gonna try using a plastic bag inside one of the outside canister's and zip tie a bubbler or piece of blow off tube to the bag and ferment that way just haven't got the bags yet-when the bag's empty throw it away-it would be easier than cleaning and better than buckets sitting all over the place------

Back