Liquid Smoke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Although I'm not considering the endeavor of smoking my own malt, I have been reading about it. This got me thinking about the fact that I have some very highly concentrated (16oz bottle treats 960lbs. of meat) commercial grade liquid smoke that I use for wild game (mostly deer jerky). I'd like to hear what you have to say about including it in a recipe....in very small quantities.

If you choose to use liquid smoke, be very careful, if I recall, all but one of them are made with other additives, including vinegar. I think there is only one brand that is completely, what's the word, "organic?" It's just distilled smoke, in a water solution.

I think Alton Brown showed on a good eats episode a few years back how to distill your own "natural" liquid smoke.

But Rauchmault is still a better bet.

There's a couple threads on it, including this one. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/liquid-smoke-134749/#post1519540

And a few more in the similar threads box below.

Back