What to upgrade to for mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
I have been using a 10 gallon cooler mash tun with wonderful success, except for 10 gallon batches. I just can't fit all of the grains and required water in the darn thing for the bigger batches. I have been using my boil pot to mash in (15 gallon SS) and then transferring it to the cooler, starting the lauter into my 7 gallon aluminum pot, adding the rest of the mash to the cooler, dumping the wort into the 15 gallon when it is empty, and then continuing the lauter/sparge into the 15 gallon pot. I really like the idea of mashing on heat, I can heat the mash at the end for mash out without adding water. I have had no problem controlling the heat as I can turn my burner way down. I just have to stir a lot, which really doesn't bother me.
I have been thinking about purchasing a blichman boilermaker, making a keggle, or just getting another 15 gallon Stainless pot and buying a false bottom. I have heard that the boilermaker is over kill, and may scorch the wort while on heat. I guess this would hold true for anything with a false bottom? I am leery of the coolers, just because they won't last forever. I like the fact that if I use metal, it would out-live me.
I guess I am wondering if scorching is that big of an issue using a false bottom?
Thanks in advance.

If you're direct firing your mash, scorching will be an issue. You could always set up a recirculation mash so your direct firing your HLT and running the wort in the mash through a coil built into the HLT.

Before doing this though, have you tried lowering your qts/lb ratio? When I used a cooler for mashing, I did a ton of 10 gallon batches with good results. They were all under 1.060 though. I would just lower my water/grain ratio to .75-1 qts/lb.

If you're direct firing your mash, scorching will be an issue. You could always set up a recirculation mash so your direct firing your HLT and running the wort in the mash through a coil built into the HLT.
Like a wort chiller in reverse? A mash warmer per se? I do not want to buy a pump if I don't have to. Unless I can be convinced that it is necessary. Gravity is cheap and reliable.

The thought of thickening the mash has crossed my mind, but I have not tried it.

Back