Putting some apple flavor in a Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Its in the fermenter now, bubbling through the airlock of course.

When I rack it can I put apples in there to give it some apple flavor?
I don't want to use a flavoring syrup cos that stuff is usually gross.

I think without flavorings you're going to have a hard time getting much apple flavor to come through, even a dry cider doesn't have a very strong apple flavor.

But sure, you can rack it onto some apples, or even just some apple juice. I'd make sure if you use apples, you clean them thoroughly - wild yeasts and all.

Why Why Why old Germans and rolling in there grave at the thought of this.....lol
Well it's homebrew so you can do as you like. I would be worried by the green apple flavor being picked up as an off flavor.

ya, i keep thinking there is just no good way to do it. but man, red apple kolsch sounds so good.
I think a little apple flavor in a kolsch could be tasty, but remember that fermented fruits often taste different than their non-fermented versions. If I wanted to do this, I'd really look for a high quality flavoring, or as someone else suggested, blend in a good tasting cider.

Back