"Could US lose the King of Beers?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would suck if lots of jobs were lost, but I can't really worry about the future of beer in the U.S. if the deal goes down. I don't care for A-B beers in general. For the record, I don't think less of those that do - drink what you like, dammit!

:mug:

It's not just about the beer, for those of us in STL, they are one of our biggest employers and they infuse massive amounts of cash into local businesses, charities and organizations and employee many of our friends and family.

InBev is known for the slash and burn when they buy a company which could mean massive layoffs which will have a big effect on the local economy, which like most places, isn't doing so hot.

I don't think any jobs will be lost, except upper management. It would be too cost prohibitive to import any BMC with todays energy prices.

Hmm..

Stella Busch
Michalobe Saison
Natural Bier de Gard Light

There are a lot of management positions at AB but they also have a ton of IT jobs which could also be effected. One of the great things about AB is that once you go to work there, a vast majority of people retire from there. It is a great company to work for with amazing benefits and you just don't find places that like anymore. It would be a shame for it to turn into just another corporate money making machine.

I don't think any jobs will be lost, except upper management. It would be too cost prohibitive to import any BMC with todays energy prices.

Hmm..

Stella Busch

*edit* the freaking profanity editor blanked out a "Stella Bush"

This will probably make me sound pretty ignorant, but it bugs me that shareholders would so willingly vote for A-B to be sold off to the Belgians if it meant potentially increasing share value. I like to think people invest in businesses they respect, believe in, and enjoy. In reality I guess everyone's just chasing the dollar and pride doesn't come into it at all. I'm no fan of A-B, but this would still be a kick in the knickers.

Hmm..

Stella Busch
Michalobe Saison
Natural Bier de Gard Light

When dealing with that swill, I believe it is spelled in the "commercial sell-out" style : LITE

You have to remember the real people that are affected, but it is hard to care too much about crappy american lager becoming crappy belgian lager.

When dealing with that swill, I believe it is spelled in the "commercial sell-out" style : LITE

Sorry, but LITE is already trademarked by another foreign brewing company. SABMiller, from South Africa.

Once AB goes to Europe, BMC will be all foreign owned.

Miller by South African Brewing
Coors by Molsen in Canada
AB by InBev

When will they snatch up the little guys?

When will they snatch up the little guys?

Considering that AB own portions of some of the 'little guys' (I believe that they own 49% of Redhook and portions of a few others), their shares of some micros will be owned by InBev as well.

Considering that AB own portions of some of the 'little guys' (I believe that they own 49% of Redhook and portions of a few others), their shares of some micros will be owned by InBev as well.

as well as Fordham which was a micro brew here in Annapolis.......oh well

Let’s say InBev does buy AB. Do you think the average Bud drinkers loyalty will sway with the company being foreign owned?

I would imagine so. I know that I haven't bought a pair of Levis since production moved offshore. (Used to be the only jeans I would buy).

This will probably make me sound pretty ignorant, but it bugs me that shareholders would so willingly vote for A-B to be sold off to the Belgians if it meant potentially increasing share value. I like to think people invest in businesses they respect, believe in, and enjoy. In reality I guess everyone's just chasing the dollar and pride doesn't come into it at all. I'm no fan of A-B, but this would still be a kick in the knickers.
Companies don't care about quality, their employees, or their customers. They care about making money. It's sad because if they did, they would be more successful.

Moving more jobs offshore will cause the company to slowly die just like the USA car makers.

hopefully if they do buy the company it will pave the way for new American beer to rise to the top. It could pave the way for a lot of the smaller regional brewers to grow if people decide they don't wanna drink bud because it ain't US owned anymore.

Welcome to the real world...it's all about the M-O-N-E-Y !!! :mad:

We are just dreamers I guess...:rockin:;)

Back