Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
how do we not have a thread dedicated to the best show on TV right now (an IMHO one of the best book series in quite a while)..

who all is watching and if you aren't, why the heck not?!

I would say it's a boob fest if anything. But, there are a few threads about GoT already.

Agreed, the books are fantastic. I've read them a few times waiting for him to finish the series. Don't become attached to any characters.

you must not have watched past season 1 then.. though don't know where you get "cock fest" from

C'mon, it's a little bit accurate. :p But there are far more boobs than wieners in the show, so it's okay.

I actually really enjoy the television series, and the books are even better.
I'm normally disappointed by book-to-movie or book-to-television conversions, but GoT is really well done and I'm rarely disappointed by any aspect of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a book thread would be cool. Because so much death:
Lp7hAiM.jpg

While I own three seasons on blu-ray (only because I got them at 75% off 1 & 2, 50% off 3), I've not watched any of it. I wanted to finish reading first. A friend tells me at least get to book three before watching season one.

Don't watch the show unless my sister is splitting one of the Ommegang bombers with me. Can't comment on the show but the beer has been good.

While I own three seasons on blu-ray (only because I got them at 75% off 1 & 2, 50% off 3), I've not watched any of it. I wanted to finish reading first. A friend tells me at least get to book three before watching season one.

i watched the first season and then read 3 books before the next season.. i kinda liked it that way so while i'm reading i already know what the characters "look" like.. makes it a bit easier to follow for she sheer magnitude of the books.. i've read in a couples places that there are over 1000 named characters in the series, and i can certainly believe it..

once you pick them up though it will be quite hard to put down

Possibly one of, if not the, best book adaptation to tv show ever made.

The books are REALLY good, if you enjoy reading. Not always exactly like the show, but very close. Can't wait until ______comes back from ____ ______ and _____ with ____. People be like, oh no! ______ couldn't have _____ ______!!!!!! And that one scene where little ______ _____'s ______ and you're all like, "______me!"

SPOILER ALERT!!

|A main character dies this season...|

Man oh man do I enjoy the heck out of both the books and the TV series. About 100 pages in on book 5. And we've watched season 1. Waiting to start season 2 until the wife gets started on book 3. I have a VERY hard time not ruining it for my wife, as you get to a point in a book and can't believe he killed off another main character.

There does seem to be some overlap between books and TV. And definitely some differences between the two, which actually makes the TV series more enjoyable to watch as you know they won't be exactly the same.

This guy writes the biggest story imaginable. There is no way you could have more characters and still be semi-coherent. Its also not a book you want to read if you're tired.

My paperback collection only goes to book 5. I assume he has written 6 by now. Is it a 7 book series, and when will that be coming?

Ranking of the books?

I'd say:

1) Storm of Swords
2) Clash of Kings
3) Game of Thrones
4) Feast for Crows

Not far enough into Dance with Dragons to comment yet. I thought Storm of Swords was awesome from beginning to end. And never got that into Feast for Crows, weird.

I have a VERY hard time not ruining it for my wife, as you get to a point in a book and can't believe he killed off another main character.

i'm in the same boat.. i got my wife addicted though i have just as much enjoyment watching reactions since she doesn't know what is coming.

My paperback collection only goes to book 5. I assume he has written 6 by now. Is it a 7 book series, and when will that be coming?

he is currently working on 6 of the 7 planned books.. i heard that HBO doesn't want to go past 7 seasons and that anything after that they may conclude with a movie (though i have no idea how a movie could encompass something like that final book when 10 hours of tv would really only do)

I may need some sensitivity training for this, but he better get those last 2 books finished up. He's not exactly a young lookin' dude.

As I was searching for his pics, saw this and thought it pretty funny.

GeorgeRRMartin_Twitter.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the series. I've been reading and re-reading over the last few years, and it's one of my personal favorite book series. The show is okay. It's enjoyable for me and approachable for people who will never touch the books, such as my wife. The show doesn't have a fraction of the back story, history, or depth that the books do, and that's okay with me. Lately, I've become more concerned that the HBO series will finish before the last books are published. It would be very disappointing to see how the show ends ASOIAF while missing all the depth and connected plot lines that the books cover. The show also has deviated from the plot lines recently, so there is that. I'm not sure how anyone who exclusively watches the show will pickup on the R + L = J, the Blackfyre pretenders, etc. that are likely to be critical plot components in the next two books.

at least he adds new main characters in throughout the books so.. there haven't been many people added in the TV show, but there will be a bunch more in the next couple seasons that's for sure!

I started this series in 2000, shortly after A Clash of Kings came out. I loved this series and loved the characters Martin created. I thought the TV show has been very well adapted thus far. All that said, the 5th book really disappointed for me. I found myself skimming large parts of it. It just didn't have much happening. I also wasn't crazy about how the timeline of the 4th and 5th books overlap. I found it slowed the pacing of the story even more.

Maybe it would have been better if I could have read all 5 books back to back. But after book 2, I had to wait years between the next 3 and that may have contributed to my disappointment. I worry that Martin is falling into the same trap Jordan did, IMO, in the later books of the Wheel of Time series. Too many sub plots and too many characters which made it hard for him to pace the later books and wrap things up. I'm really hoping book 6 gets things back in track for me.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think the TV series is even BETTER than the books.

There are some EPIC scenes in the books though. The end of book 4 is incredible. You can't help but love the Imp!

I tried to read book 5, but it was so slow I had to put it down. I'll pick it up again after this season on TV.

When is book 6 due out?

i don't know if there is a date for 6 yet.. i agree that 5 is slow in places.. especially when they are focusing on newer character development and i just want to know how other certain storylines pan out a bit more.. i am looking forward to a couple stories that seem to have been hanging around for a bit, i hope that he goes back to them in six

Premier was solid and enjoyable. Seeing Arya win back Needle and help take out the Tickler and Polliver was both enjoyable and disturbing. An 8-year old girl killing people will do that though.

I thought that the character of Arya is being brought along very well. She has always had that killer instinct or at least of a fighter. Even way back when she used to show up Bran in the Winterfell yard. I think that the relationship between her and the hound is entertaining as well. I was less impressed with how Sansa is being shown as more of a ***** this season. I guess they want her to show that loss of innosense, (not in a sexual way, but in a loosing her family and being treated as property way). I still love the tv show though. I also liked how the dragons are coming into their own as well. Will the mother of dragons loose her control of them?

I thought that the character of Arya is being brought along very well. She has always had that killer instinct or at least of a fighter. Even way back when she used to show up Bran in the Winterfell yard. I think that the relationship between her and the hound is entertaining as well. I was less impressed with how Sansa is being shown as more of a ***** this season. I guess they want her to show that loss of innosense, (not in a sexual way, but in a loosing her family and being treated as property way). I still love the tv show though. I also liked how the dragons are coming into their own as well. Will the mother of dragons loose her control of them?

I'm not a Sansa fan. I know a lot of other readers are, but I can't personally stand her. Will Dany lose her dragons? Depends on Victarion, I suppose.

I think the TV series is even BETTER than the books.

There are some EPIC scenes in the books though. The end of book 4 is incredible. You can't help but love the Imp!

I tried to read book 5, but it was so slow I had to put it down. I'll pick it up again after this season on TV.

When is book 6 due out?

+1 to this...I have only read the first book, but I thought it draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged. Boring.

The show on the other hand...Peter Dinklage makes the show by and by although I really like the guy who plays the kingslayer. I'm in season three and had to stop reading this thread

Premier was solid and enjoyable. Seeing Arya win back Needle and help take out the Tickler and Polliver was both enjoyable and disturbing. An 8-year old girl killing people will do that though.

Couldn't agree more. That last 5-10min was great. The dynamic that continues to build and evolve between Arya and the Hound is so interesting to watch. I didn't read any of the books (not a genre I enjoy reading) so the show is completely it's own entity for me. I take some joy in not having any idea what's going to happen.

The HBO series does a very nice job making it accessible to non-readers. My wife read the prologue to Book #1 and dropped it. She does like the HBO series, although she thinks Dany's character is named "Khalessi"....

You can also take joy in knowing that non-readers will find out how the series ends at least 1 - 2 years before the last book comes out. No, I'm not bitter. Not at all. :(

The HBO series does a very nice job making it accessible to non-readers. My wife read the prologue to Book #1 and dropped it. She does like the HBO series, although she thinks Dany's character is named "Khalessi"....

You can also take joy in knowing that non-readers will find out how the series ends at least 1 - 2 years before the last book comes out. No, I'm not bitter. Not at all. :(

They use the term so much in both the show and the book that it's easy to make that assumption.

As far as the tv show vs the book, I'm not sure if Martin will be able to write the books before the show starts telling it's own story. So far there have been minor differences. They started out by skipping a good amount of the story, but I think I read that they are starting to slow down and plan to make each season approximately 1/2 worth of a book.

I only know that Martin is going to have to start getting some words on page if we want to see a conclusion before he dies!

If you want see fanboys at their worst, there are daily topics about the shows overtaking the books at www.westeros.org . FWIW, Martin has all but admitted that the shows will overtake the book series as he's not even at the halfway point for Winds of Winter, and he's had three years since Dance with Dragons came out....

I've come to terms that the TV series will show the ending that Martin intends for the books. I'm not happy about it, but it's what it is. No one has chained Martin to his desk....yet.

HBO series are usually 7 - 8 seasons in length. It's hard to think that HBO would drag the series past 7 - 8 seasons given the following:

A) Costs for filming each season are exorbitant compared to other HBO series.
B) The cast is aging at a pace not matched in the books. At the end of Dance, Arya is still 8 years old....
and; most importantly and sadly
C) There is no way to guarantee another season or two would give Martin time to finish his books. One might have thought when he signed onto the series in 2011 that he would have more than enough time AND motivation to get two books finished by 2016 or 2017, but sadly that's not the case. In the three years since Dance has been published, he's still working on Winds with a 2015 release date unlikely and a 2016 release date optimistic. I hope to god that I'm wrong as I am a HUGE fan of the books but I'm pessimistic. I started reading this series in high school and will probably be in my 40's by the time Dream of Spring is released.

There is no guarantee that the HBO series will follow the books. Based on what we've read so far, do you think Martin is going to be telling the directors what will actually happen? Do you think the directors are glued to all his plots. $$$ talks.

The character development is great. I think it's even more interesting in the show than in the books. But I'll admit I look forward to scenes on TV with anticipation being that I already know what should happen. Well ...................... I have fond memories of parts the books & hate other parts. I'll agree that some of the folks on westeros.org & YouTube are just nuts with it!

But then again, this is the INTERNET after all. :eek:

well they signed the show up to at least 2 more seasons.. and i did hear rumors about a possible movie being the final book once it comes out.. though it would have to be on par with a couple LOTR type lengths to make it worth while.. martin did confirm that he told hbo producers about the plans for the end of the series.. would find it hard that they would actually end it before the story ended, don't think martin would like that too much, may cut into his book sales..

as somebody who has read the books i am very excited for this season and love the reactions of my wife for seeing the story the first time..

big fan of the hound/arya relationship as well

There is no guarantee that the HBO series will follow the books. Based on what we've read so far, do you think Martin is going to be telling the directors what will actually happen? Do you think the directors are glued to all his plots. $$$ talks.

Martin writes an episode screen play each season for the HBO series, and I'm fairly his contract with HBO wouldn't allow for them to deviate substantially from the plot. So far, the HBO series has remained fairly faithful to the books with a few minor exceptions. When it comes to "big picture" the HBO series is still following the books.

well they signed the show up to at least 2 more seasons.. and i did hear rumors about a possible movie being the final book once it comes out.. though it would have to be on par with a couple LOTR type lengths to make it worth while.. martin did confirm that he told hbo producers about the plans for the end of the series.. would find it hard that they would actually end it before the story ended, don't think martin would like that too much, may cut into his book sales...

I heard the movie rumors as well, but I think that's wishful thinking on Martin's part. The younger members of the cast are going to be too old by the time a potential movie starts filming which would be several years from now. I would like to think that HBO wouldn't end the series before the last book comes out, but HBO doesn't work for Martin. They have a contract and it's not their responsibility to get the books published - that's on Martin. I have read that the producers have been briefed on Martin's intended ending and I suspect that they'll stick to it given how closely they've followed the books so far.

Either way is fine with me. If they deviate, it's only more good stuff. They've done very well with only changing minor things. I'm fine with characters being just a bit older. It's just the way it is when you are making shows and movies like this.

I just can't wait for my wife to see some of the things that are coming up for some of the characters. Character development is one highlight to this story/show. How they evolve and put up with the horrific events that seem to happen to them all.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of the actor playing Tyrion. At this point in the storyline Tyrion's character is likable and sarcastic, although starting to lose grip on power. It will be interesting to see how the actor plays him when Tyrion stops being so likable and sarcastic, and becomes darker.

Back