Bourbon stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I would like to do a bourbon stout and was wondering if I need to use a certain type of stout recipe or just pick a good one and add the bourbon. I was planning on soaking 4-5 oz of oak chips and adding them to the secondary. Does this seem ok, or does anyone have a good recipe?

I'm doing a Vanilla and Bourbon Robust porter based on one of JZ's recipe's. I am using 10ml per pint of bourbon for about 16oz's and 1oz of oak cubes. It's in secondary right now. I think 4oz of chips are going to make the beer way to oaky :)

If you want the oak flavor in your stout, definitely go the oak chips. Otherwise, you can just add bourbon after fermentation ends and let it sit for a few days before bottling.

Northern Brewer has a good bourbon porter. Uses 16oz of Makers Mark. It's a good kit.

4-5 oz. of chips is way too much. I like 1-2 oz. of med. toast french oak cubes stored for a month or so. Cubes release their essence slower, but have a better flavor than chips.

Northern Brewer has a good bourbon porter. Uses 16oz of Makers Mark. It's a good kit.

I did this one and it turned out amazing. The kit comes with 2oz of oak cubes. After 6months the flavors really come out. This has been one of my favorite beers I have made. Reminds me of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout!

Back