Barleywine emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cur

Reaction score
Hi all,
I currently have 4 gallons of barleywine wort cooling and just realized no yeast made it into the shopping bag. No brew shops are open and all I have in the fridge right now is some dry wine yeast. The shop opens at noon tomorrow. What do we do!! Should we just put it in the fermentation bucket with the lid and wait till tomorrow to pitch the yeast? Should we re-boil it before pitching yeast tomorrow?

Thanks!

I would wait and pitch. I don't know what reboiling would do.

Of course I have no experience with such things, but I think you will be fine.

I say RDWHAHB!

Don't sweat it. As long as your bucket isn't contaminated you can store the wort for a couple of days without worry.

You may want to consider picking up a couple packs/vials of the same strain to make up for making a starter, and depending upon how old it is.

I had to put off pitching yeast untill the following morning on the last beer I made... it turned out fine (after a 12 hour wait). Seal it up in something clean and wait to get the correct yeast.

Back