Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Sar

Reaction score
I am relatively new to home brewing (3 batches under my belt) and to the forum. After viewing everyone’s threads about their projects, the DIY bug has bitten me. I am still doing extract brewing and the kettle I am using is some kind of enamel. I was wondering if any could give me some advice about making a stainless steel brew kettle with a spout and a thermometer. As I mentioned, I am still brewing 5 gallon extract batches so is it worth it to put time into this project? I don’t have any experience welding so I was wondering if is there a way I could just drill into the kettle and install a spigot of some kind?

You can buy a weldless coupling for $15 or $16 at Northern Brewer to do that. You can then attach a ball-value and hose barb from Depot to that. The spout is more important than the thermometer for a brew kettle.

Many of us do this to old half-barrel beer kegs. Probably overkill for five-gallon extract batches, but if you're going this route, might as well do it so you can either start brewing bigger batches or do AG at some point down the line. A used keg, from Craigslist or eBay or wherever, is cheaper than a regular stockpot anyway, you just need a way to cut a hole in the top (angle grinder, Dremel, plasma-cutter-owning friend).

Back