Has anyone every made grappa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Chin

Reaction score
my buddy who's helping me get started with my brewing owns a winery here in northern Italy. he also makes his own beers, and the sweet aqua vitae known as grappa. just curious if anyone else makes that on the side, or wines for that matter?

I make wine as do alot of others, but not grappa. I know that grappa can be dangerous if not done properly, and in my community here the old Italians still talk about grappa and some of the wild things that happened! I'm not sure how they distilled it, or how many really were injured, but the stories are good.

Oooh, Grappa. I kinda remember a night in Milano, good pasta, wine, then grappa, then more grappa, then....I don't remember much after that. :D

i've actually had grappa before, in courmayeur, italy, out of one of those round community wooden things they drink it out of. that ****e is harsh! - quite a chore to choke down, that stuff. it's pretty in the bottles they put it in, however.

from what i can recall, it is triple distilled wine, or something.

.code.decode. said:
i've actually had grappa before, in courmayeur, italy, out of one of those round community wooden things they drink it out of. that ****e is harsh! - quite a chore to choke down, that stuff. it's pretty in the bottles they put it in, however.

from what i can recall, it is triple distilled wine, or something.

Often made from the fermented skins and crush left-overs.

I know a fellow who makes his own from the leftovers of local wineries. 180 proof, near undrinkable to all but the most accomplished alcoholic. He has been featured in many local papers for his distilling, all positive though. When you are wealthy, I guess distilling is just considered eccentric. For me it would be fines/jail time.

there is good grappa now made from whole grapes and the nasty stuff made from the skins and crap thrown out from winemaking. origionally it was just the nasty stuff made from leftover grape parts but recently good stuff was being made from whole grapes

Back