propane burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BankerJohn

Reaction score
I need some of the help and advice of others. I am planning a brew sculpture that will have 2 propane burners (one high for HLT & one low for Boil Pot).

I want to have both burners plumbed to one propane tank. How do I do this? Do I need just one regulator that feeds a line. In line, T off to the lower burner? Where and which valve to install to cut off gas flow to the non used burner?

Can someone provide a parts list?

This requires 2 regulators. I'm looking to have one regulator feed both burners. Any other help?

In that case, you will only need a tee fitting. IIRC, the low pressure side of the common regulators will have 1/4" NPT threads. A 1/4" NPT thread tee should allow you to connect whatever hoses or pipe you use to get to the burners and somewhere in those two lines you would want to install ball or needle valves to control each burner. That's about as far as I can help without some type of a layout plan to go from. All of the required fittings should either be NPT or the flared type. IOW, nothing special and everything should be available locally at most any hardware or big box store.

In that case, you will only need a tee fitting. IIRC, the low pressure side of the common regulators will have 1/4" NPT threads. A 1/4" NPT thread tee should allow you to connect whatever hoses or pipe you use to get to the burners and somewhere in those two lines you would want to install ball or needle valves to control each burner. That's about as far as I can help without some type of a layout plan to go from. All of the required fittings should either be NPT or the flared type. IOW, nothing special and everything should be available locally at most any hardware or big box store.

So I could, going from bottle: Regulator, 1/4"NPT Flex tubing, Connection to T. First branch to needle valve, hose to orafice, then burner. Second branch of T will connect to black pipe, pipe termination and connect to needle valve then hose to orafice and terminate at top burner.

Is there a special fitting to connect 1/4"NPT host to Needle Valve? What fitting will be used to connect Hose to Black Pipe? To connect Black pipe to Needle Valve?

I'm realizing that the propane gas plumbing is about the hardest part of making beer!

So I could, going from bottle: Regulator, 1/4"NPT Flex tubing, Connection to T. First branch to needle valve, hose to orafice, then burner. Second branch of T will connect to black pipe, pipe termination and connect to needle valve then hose to orafice and terminate at top burner.

Is there a special fitting to connect 1/4"NPT host to Needle Valve? What fitting will be used to connect Hose to Black Pipe? To connect Black pipe to Needle Valve?

I'm realizing that the propane gas plumbing is about the hardest part of making beer!

1. How you connect the hose to the pipe will depend on the type of fitting used on the hose ends. The ideal fittings would be the crimped-on shop fabricated type that come with the regulators, but you could easily have these custom made or maybe order them from these guys:

http://www.flameengineering.com/Hose.html

Usually the hoses have 1/4" male NPT thread on one or both ends and possibly a 3/8" female flare fitting on the other. I like to avoid the barb type adapters and hose clamps for safety reasons, but they can also be made to work.

2. The needle valves are available with different threaded ports. The common ones are 1/4" NPT on one side and 3/8" male flare on the other, but other combinations are available. The above supplier should have these as well, so take a look around there and see if you can spot something that will work.

Don't be intimidated by plumbing stuff. It's just a matter of becoming familiar with the terminology and what is available. Also, don't be afraid to ask for assistance at the hardware stores. Often, the guys at the smaller local hardware or plumbing shops are the most knowledgeable and helpful. Take everything with you when you need help. It's much easier to figure out if you have the parts in hand and whomever assists you will have an easier time of it as well.

Back