Please help this nOOb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmy

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing and have a question. I brewed a batch on Monday. I put it into the carboy around Noon. When i poured the wort in thru the funnel, I later noticed there was a screen on it and all the solids had collected. I wasnt sure what to do so i threw them into the carboy. Also my air conditioning was out for a day which caused the room temp to be around 85 degrees or so. so now its Wed. and the beer is showing no signs of fermentation. There is also alot of solids sitting at the bottom of the carboy. Pry the bottom 2 and a half inches is solids. Is it ok? Did i mess it up? If i did is there any way to fix it? any advice would be welcomed.

You probably didn't mess it up but next time don't add the solids back in (I'm guessing it was mostly hops). It should not be an issue that they are sitting at the bottom of the carboy.

As for the temp, this is more of a concern. Hot fermentation temps lead to the development of fusels and easters that produce unwanted flavors. Wrap a wet towel around the fermenter or submerge it in a tub of ice water to bring the temp down. You can also do a search on various cooling methods on the forum (there has been a lot of discussion on this lately).

The lag time for your fermentation is nothing to worry about yet. What kind of yeast did you use? What was the temp at when you pitched it? Are you basing the lack of fermentation on airlock activity or have you looked for signs of krausen in the fermenter? It can take as long as 72 hours for fermentation to begin but airlock activity is an inexact way to determine if it has started; take a look in the fermenter and see what is happening in there. If you really have no fermentation after 72 hours, consider repitching a packet of dry yeast.

You should have kept the solids out of the fermenter, but its no big deal.

Is there a bunch of stuff stuck to the side of the fermenter above the beer line?

If so, fermentation is likely done, but you should let the beer clear for a while before bottling.

Your AC being out will probably lead to the formation of fusel alcohols, which may give you a headache. It will also cause the fermentation to go fast.

The bottom of the fermenter always collects sediment. When you bottle be careful to rack off the top of the gunk, and try not to pick any up.

I would let it clear for another couple weeks, then bottle and see what comes out.

Wow im impressed by the speedy responses!!! No krausen showing....I guess i will wait it out until tommorrow and see if there is any progress

Latest posts

Back