Question---->Use of copper for brew rig lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckley28

Reaction score
Changing out my PVC valves and fittings on my brew rig due to the high temp wort being a major concern on the plastic fittings. Was thinking of using stainless fittings but the cost for what I need is insane. Next best thing, I think, would be copper...but I'm concerned about sediment build up in the lines over time and possible bacteria issues. Am I over thinking or rather thinking correctly. The copper can withstand the heat but so can that new PEX tubing and fittings.

Thoughts? Recommendations?:confused:

Copper is naturally antimicrobial so bacteria should be less of a problem. So is brass.

but brass is so ugly! i mean it is what the army uses! you HAVE TO USE STAINLESS! there is no alternative! do not try to save any money, use what is pretty! we are building a doll house here, right?

but brass is so ugly! i mean it is what the army uses! you HAVE TO USE STAINLESS! there is no alternative! do not try to save any money, use what is pretty! we are building a doll house here, right?

Lol yeah I hear ya. I agree stainless is the way to go but Jesus its expensive. The next build will be no holds bard but for this one I have to keep it less costly...wife is on me to remodel our master bath. What's that saying "happy wife, happy life" lol

A periodic washing with PBW or the like, sanitization of anything that doesnt see boiling temps post boil and a thorough rinse before storage should be fine. I had a similar concern about growing nasties but this regiment has kept my rig clean.

I PBW maybe once a month (~once every 4 or 5 brews) and leave my valves open when storing to let the liquid out. My post boil chilling setup gets sanitized in place with boiling wort, everything else gets boiled so its not a big deal.

Breweries have been built of copper for hundreds of years because it's the best material. For homebrewing, stainless is good, because you can use it before or after fermentation. (Finished beer should not come into contact with copper) Copper should be good for all your pre-fermentation work. I would be leery of using that Pex tubing on the hot side.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and switched out the original valves and piping w/ copper. Its cheaper, plus I had a ton of fittings laying around. The tubing into the pump and out of it to the flow valve is a high temp tubing from one of the online HB stores.
Got everything installed and lines sweat last night. We're back in business and ready for this weekends brew day.
Thanks for the help...now onto the ferm build (hopefully receive the temp controller from Hong Kong this week).

I use pex for my MT manifold, but would advise to not use it for anything hotter than that, it is only rated for the 180-200 range max.

Back