How likely is the fermentation to be messy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9/9

Collembola!
Reaction score
Okay, so my wife and I are going to try our first batch in a couple of days. I think that we understand the process and everything we have to do, but we are still figuring out what to do with primary fermenter (we don't plan to use a secondary). We live in a really small house and don't have a lot of extra room. We have room to put in on the floor of a closet we have, but we have some clothes stored in there. Is it going to make a mess of the clothes? Are we going to have to store the fermenter on its own?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I've never had a mess yet. But some others have. If you leave enough headspace for fermentation to take place (or use a blow off tube), you shouldn't have any issues. You can put a garbage bag over it with the airlock poking out if you're really worred.

for the most part, no. it will release some odor, but nothing horrible.

on the other hand, if you are brewing...say...a hefeweizen and the yeast goes all nutty on you, it COULD blow off your airlock.

for certain brews (hefes, big bears, belgians) the yeast will get very vigorous and you have potential for a mess...that's why i always use a blow-off tube with those beers. it'll also be more vigorous if you have a big starter (alot of yeast) or it is at a high temperature.

what are you brewing and are you using a blow-off or airlock? chances are you will be just fine.

EDIT: beat me to it :eek:

You all are great with the quick responses here!

We only have one bathroom, so the spare tub idea is out. We have some good spare room in the back of the bathroom closet, but I worry that the heat and temperature changes from the warm showers in there would be a problem.

I will look into a blow-off tube and maybe still use a trash bag anyway.

Thanks!

Use a blow off tube and run it into a clean milk jug filled with a pint of cheap vodka or iodophor. Poke a small hole in the milk jug up around the neck as a vent.
I use this set up all of the time and haven't had a mess yet. It also helps to use at least a 6.5 gallon fermenter to give you extra headspace.

You should not have any problems with the fermentation making a mess. If it will give you peace of mind then go ahead and put some plastic down under the fermenter. I never got anything but air bubbles through the airlock when I brewed my first few batches and I'm sure you will have the same result.

Let us know how it goes. :mug:

Okay, the equipment kit that we have starts us with a plastic fermenter bucket. The lid has a single hole for the airlock (I think that is what it is called). Is that where the blowoff tube would go? Would it be a problem to not have the airlock on?

9/9 said:
Okay, the equipment kit that we have starts us with a plastic fermenter bucket. The lid has a single hole for the airlock (I think that is what it is called). Is that where the blowoff tube would go? Would it be a problem to not have the airlock on?

The blowoff tube is in place of the airlock. If the bucket top has a drilled hole for a stopper+airlock, you can take a section of 3/8" tubing (which probably came with your starter kit), jam it into the rubber stopper instead of the airlock (it will fit, I promise) and run the free end of the tubing into a 1/2gallon milk container, small bucket or whatever, partly filled with sanitizing solution (or even just plain water). The CO2 from the fermentation has a place to outgas and the sanitizing solution will keep anything nasty from entering your fermentation bucket.

As an added precaution, you can put your bucket in a restaurant bus tub (the kind they use to clear tables -- they're $5 at a restaurant supply) or big plastic container, probably very much like the one you just emptied of your Christmas decorations. That'll keep any spillovers off your carpet.

Hope this helps,
Chad

You all are great. Now, I just have to figure out if leaving the fermenter in with some clothes in the cooler will make my clothes smell like beer when I leave for work in the morning! :)

:D
9/9 said:
You all are great. Now, I just have to figure out if leaving the fermenter in with some clothes in the cooler will make my clothes smell like beer when I leave for work in the morning! :)

Yeah, there can be some odor. I would move the clothes.

rich1852 said:
:D

Yeah, there can be some odor. I would move the clothes.

Do you think just out of the closet would be good enough? Or will the whole room pick up the odor?

I am a teacher, so showing up to work smelling like beer will get me in a lot of trouble really quick! :D

9/9 said:
Do you think just out of the closet would be good enough? Or will the whole room pick up the odor?

I am a teacher, so showing up to work smelling like beer will get me in a lot of trouble really quick! :D

Oddly enough, my fermentations rarely smell like beer. Most often there is a scent reminiscent of gingerbread. It's quite nice, really.

With some beers and/or yeast strains you might get sulfur-like odors, but probably no strong beer smells. You'll be fine.

Chad

If you leave it out on the room make sure to cover it so it will not be exposed to any light.

I only use the blowoff tubes for wheats now, I add a couple drops of foam control and it keeps things in check.

Yep you will be fine it isn't actually a beer smell. However, I strongly recommend you use the blow off tube (just in case) because if it blows the airlock off and shoots beer everywhere, THEN you will smell like beer.

Chad said:
Oddly enough, my fermentations rarely smell like beer. Most often there is a scent reminiscent of gingerbread. It's quite nice, really.

With some beers and/or yeast strains you might get sulfur-like odors, but probably no strong beer smells. You'll be fine.

Chad

My last one smelled like banana bread.
I can almost promise you that no one will complain if you show up smelling like banana bread.

Back