How long to keep at higher temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So how long do I really need to keep beers at the higher temps (higher temps being the ones where it needs to be kept to ferment... i.e. 64, 68, whatever temp needs to be fermented at)? As it is getting colder I am running out of space in my temp controlled box. So, if a beer is done fermenting... but I want to keep beer in fermentor for about a month, does it do it any good to keep it in primary at a lower temp (around high 50s?) Or is the main reason to keep a beer in primary for a month is to let yeasties really work through everything they can and then some and then also condition a bit?
Also, say apfelwein on another note, since it should be aged for months and months.... it doesn't need to be aged at a higher fermentation temp does it?
Sorry for the nubbyness. Thanks for the help
Thanks!

So how long do I really need to keep beers at the higher temps (higher temps being the ones where it needs to be kept to ferment... i.e. 64, 68, whatever temp needs to be fermented at)? As it is getting colder I am running out of space in my temp controlled box. So, if a beer is done fermenting... but I want to keep beer in fermentor for about a month, does it do it any good to keep it in primary at a lower temp (around high 50s?) Or is the main reason to keep a beer in primary for a month is to let yeasties really work through everything they can and then some and then also condition a bit?
Also, say apfelwein on another note, since it should be aged for months and months.... it doesn't need to be aged at a higher fermentation temp does it?
Sorry for the nubbyness. Thanks for the help
Thanks!

Once the beer reaches FG, I like to give it a day or two at the same temperature or a slightly higher temperature, to make sure any diacetyl is cleaned up and the beer is really completely done. After that, I often let it drop to the low-mid 50s in my cold house. I'd say that a total of about 7-10 days at the optimum fermentation temperature.

I'm not one of the members of the "leave it in primary for a month" bandwagon, though, so I can't comment on that. I rarely leave beers in the fermenter more than two weeks.

For ciders, you'll want to keep the temperature at 60ish or above for a bit longer, to ensure full attenuation (sometimes it takes longer), but after that it's fine to let the temperature drop on that as well.

Hmm... Just wondering if the leaving it in a month's thought process and the things that happen within the month all depend on the temperature or if it is only during fermentation that the temp matters mainly... Thanks for the info provided.. Anyone else to weigh in?

Hmm... Just wondering if the leaving it in a month's thought process and the things that happen within the month all depend on the temperature or if it is only during fermentation that the temp matters mainly... Thanks for the info provided.. Anyone else to weigh in?

temperature always matters. In chemical reactions, a general rule of thumb is that the rate of reaction typically doubles for every 10 degrees celcius (18 degrees fahrenheit). an example in beer is oxidation reactions. these will happen faster at higher temps, and that's why cold storage prolongs life. once you factor in living organisms, the correlation isn't so staightforward, but things will still generally happen faster at higher temps.

So yes, temp matters at any point. As far as creating off flavors, my understanding is that temperature matters the most when the yeast is in the growth phase, in the first couple days of fermentation.

summary: temperature always matters, but the degree to which it matters depends on a lot of different things. :p

I have never left the beer in the primary for a month, but I would think any "activity" is over by about day 10-14. After that the beer would just be continuing to clear. Beer clears more readily at cooler temperatures.

Back