Lowering Fermentation Temps - Ale Pail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Okay, I have searched and found a ton of info on fermentation temp controls using water baths, fans, using t-shirts, and a lot more. But, they all seem to focus on glass carboys.

What about ale pails? Can I sit a plastic pail in a rubbermaid bucket with some water/ice bottles in it, and what effect would this have on the internal fermentation temperature? I'm looking for a chest freezer and temp controller on Craigslist right now for a fermentation chamber, but until then, I have a summer ale I would like to start on ASAP. Thanks for the help!

What about ale pails? Can I sit a plastic pail in a rubbermaid bucket with some water/ice bottles in it, and what effect would this have on the internal fermentation temperature?

Of course you can! It works great at lowering the temperatures. If you have a fermometer strip on the outside, though, the water tends to ruin it. I found that putting the thermometer strip above the water level, but below the level of the beer, gives good readings. It works just like with the carboys.

Thanks for the feedback folks. BTW Yooper, your yellow dog is very fancy. I'm a beagle man, but I do like your dog!

I just checked the walk in closet that I ferment in at the moment, and with the AC vent in there, the best bitter I have in the secondary is right at 71º. So, the ferment using WLP400 (Belgian Wit) be about 75º inside the pail, right? If so, do you think I would benefit from some water about 1/3 of the way up the pail with a t-shirt or towel?

I can't wait to get a chest freezer and a temp controller going. No more McGyver solutions! Woo hoo!

Thanks for the feedback folks. BTW Yooper, your yellow dog is very fancy. I'm a beagle man, but I do like your dog!

I just checked the walk in closet that I ferment in at the moment, and with the AC vent in there, the best bitter I have in the secondary is right at 71º. So, the ferment using WLP400 (Belgian Wit) be about 75º inside the pail, right? If so, do you think I would benefit from some water about 1/3 of the way up the pail with a t-shirt or towel?

I can't wait to get a chest freezer and a temp controller going. No more McGyver solutions! Woo hoo!

I really recommend those cheap stick on thermometers- they are pretty accurate, and take the guesswork out of the temperature of the wort/beer.

I'm glad you like my fancy yellow dog- he came from an animal shelter in March and has turned into one of the best dogs I've ever known.

The bath works greats thats how I do it and depending on how often you want to add ice to it you can keep it below 68 easily.

IMG_10141.JPG

For the first 48 to 64 hours I have to replace the ice bottles every 12 hours or so depending on the style. Then as fermentation completes I don't really think temperature is as important so I just let it go (keeping it below 72) for the rest of the ferment. I haven't done any lagers though.

Back