American Honey Amber- critiques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Put together a quick American Amber Ale to fill up a soon-to-be empty spot in the tap line-up.

Overall I think it is a pretty straight forward recipe, but I am curious to see how you guys think the yeast will blend with the rest of the recipe.

Thanks in advance.

American Honey Amber-

Estimated OG- 1.057
Estimated FG- 1.013
SRM- 14
IBU- 34

9.00 lbs 2-row
0.50 lbs crystal 120
0.25 lbs Aromatic Malt
0.25 lbs Cara Red
0.25 lbs Chocolate Rye
1.00 lbs Orange Blossom Honey

0.50oz Columbus 60min
0.75oz Cascade 10min
0.50oz Cascade 5min
0.25oz Citra 5min

WLP023- Burton's Ale.

Not sure how the fruity/honey notes of the yeast will blend with the rest of the ale. I actually am adding the honey just because I thought it would help meld the flavors.

Love to hear what you think on this. Just as a note, I do not have time to change out the yeast unfortunately, but I can make changes to the grain bill if needed.

Thanks! :tank:

Kyle

So I just kegged this thing. Don't think it is technically an Amber. Too light, next time I will add a bit of black barley to darken it up and get more red in there. (I did drop out the cara-red and just increased the two-row)

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.004

Added the Orange Blossom Honey in @ 3 days into primary.

Visual/Color: Still slightly cloudy due to chill haze. The color is a deep bronze/copper lacking some of the red color that is common in ambers.

Nose:Ripened fruit from the Burton's Ale and Heavy Orange Blossom Honey notes. It really shows through. The nose is still a little yeasty, but I only kegged it yesterday so go figure.

Taste: So, this thing dropped like a brick as far as gravity goes. The beer is nice and dry. Solid honey notes that linger over the palate. Fruit notes from the yeast are present but subdued and drier than expected. The cascade and citra blend almost seamlessly with the honey and comes through a bit on the front palate but is otherwise a bystander. A little toasty flavors sneak in on the back end most likely from the aromatic malt. Still tasting the yeast pretty strongly but that should dissipate in a few days.

Overall impression. A very interesting beer that only need a few adjustments to really come on strong. When/if I do this beer again, I will add in some roasted barley/black barely in order to bring out more amber color. Honey will be added to the boil next time instead of to primary. I blame that on the unexpected low FG as I don't taste any infection.

Next Time
9.00lbs 2row
0.50lbs C-120
0.25lbs Aromatic Malt
0.25lbs Chocolate Rye
0.13lbs Black Barley
1.00lbs Orange Blossom Honey into Boil.

everything else the same.

Latest posts

Back