Out of Date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudflaps

Reaction score
Hi, I have been given 6 tins of homebrew (wort and yeast) which are out of date (September 2010!). The person who gave them to me advised that although the yeast will have died the wort will still be ok to use. I would be very grateful if someone could confirm whether this is the case please?
Best regards

that's right, 6 cans of extract (some bitter, some bock, some continental lager and some pilsner). Excellent, I'll give them a go. I've also bought some dry malt extract to use instead of sugar, so the worst outcome is i've wasted £5 on that.
Cheers GrogNerd!

I don't know if this is common, but for my first batches I used some cans of extract from a Mr. Beer kit that were about that old. The best way I can describe the taste is soy sauce. As horrible as they tasted, I was so excited about brewing that I still drank them. I think you'll be okay, but you might have done off flavors from oxidation.

Back