I got shut down - no more outdoor brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that if the OP bought his townhouse knowing that there was an HOA, then he is obliged to live by their rules. It sucks, but that's the way that it goes.

Also, since this is a city/township ordinance, then he can't really do anything about it other than try to get the code changed.

It sounds like the problem is with one neighbor who has some mental problems. While the OP may look like a D.B. for messing with the guy, he is certainly should not let himself be bullied just because the guy is a mental. I am a police dispatcher, and I know several people who are mentals who call constantly to complain about all of their neighbors for any real or imagined problems. One guy has a problem with people driving down the street with their radio on in their car. I have had officers sitting on his street when cars came down and they say that they cars are not violating the noise ordinance, but this guy continues to call and try to make life difficult on everybody else. There is another lady who hates her middle eastern neighbors, because they are middle eastern, so she calls on every little thing that they do. If it were me, I would walk over there and call the guy out. I would also strongly stress that if he continued to harass me, I would return the favor and call on every violation that he commits. Then I would follow through.

I live in a neighborhood without an HOA, and I still have problems with one of my neighbors. I have a neighbor who is an anti-hunter and hates me because I am a hunter and because I own hunting dogs. She has called the township on me for several made up reasons(all the complaints were closed as unfounded) and has even called the DNR on me because I had a live raccoon in a trap in my backyard for 24 hours once(I was training a pup the next night). After the last complaint, I called up the code enforcement officer and we had a long chat. He turned out to be a fellow hunter and understood what was going on. He told me that he has an obligation to investigate all complaints(I understand that), but usually when one comes in to my address he knows that it can be taken care of in about 2 minutes. I then asked him if there is any law or code that prevents me from butchering my own deer in my garage with the door up. He laughed and said that was perfectly acceptable. The next year he got a call about me butchering the deer in my garage and told the caller that there was nothing he could do about it. Then he drove over and parked in my driveway and we had a few laughs while we were talking. There have been no complaints since.

If you want to change the rules for the HOA, then your only recourse is to get involved and make those changes happen yourself. Which I would if I lived in a neighborhood with an HOA.

God luck to you though.

I got a call from my homeowners association this weekend. In the message the woman says somethign to the afftect of "some people have noticed you brewing... something in the garage. Whatever it is, I think it's probably against fire safety laws and we'd like you to stop."
I called up my local fire dept this morning to get some info, and, indeed, an open flame within 10 feet of a structure is not allowed in a townhome setting like ours. He didn't say it was illegal, but if an inspector saw it they would make me stop.
I do not have a private yard large enough that would keep me 10 ft from a wall or fence, which means I'm moving operations indoors. Which means 2.5-3 gal batches since our stove sucks. Which means my banjo cooker and 20 gallon Blichmann are essencially useless to me until we move. This f'n BLOWS!

HOA's suck, HOA Boards suck, you can try to fight them but in my experience you will lose. Those things exist to dumb all owners down to the LCD or drive sane people out of their mind. Take your pick.

I once did feel your pain but I moved....curses to them all.

OTOH, I make 5 gal batches on the stove all the time. No issues yet.

Has anyone mentioned they hate HOA's yet?

I considered hating one once. But then I started thinking..... What if they decided to hate me back? Could I handle the rejection? And what if they're just really misunderstood? Maybe they just want to be loved. Maybe they just want a hug or a friend. Maybe they tried to....... Wait. What are we talking about here?

I considered hating one once. But then I started thinking..... What if they decided to hate me back? Could I handle the rejection? And what if they're just really misunderstood? Maybe they just want to be loved. Maybe they just want a hug or a friend. Maybe they tried to....... Wait. What are we talking about here?
HOA's bro...there's an 'A' on there.;)

Has anyone mentioned they hate HOA's yet?
It's been mentioned several times...and there have been several defenders of the HOA's.

...you can try to fight them but in my experience you will lose.
I take a much different approach...and I'm undefeated/untied. I just ignore them (except for the dues). I know when dues are coming and pay them...every other piece of mail from them goes in the circular file...unopened.

I think a bunch of people are using this thread to complain about HOA's when this really has nothing to do with the HOA. The OP is in violation of the local fire ordinances. Those ordinances are based on national guidelines. And they were put in place for a very good reason. Operating a propane powered burner with an open flame in or near a flammable structure has a significant chance of causing a fire. In a multi-unit building that fire will affect many people beyond the person operating the burner. Sure you can operate the burner is a reasonably safe way but it is also very easy to operate in an unsafe way which is why the laws are written the way they are.

I'm sorry but if the OP cannot operate the burner in an open area where it will not have the chance of destroying another persons house then he has no business operating it. And it sounds like he realizes that. Now if all you freedom lovers will realize that you also have responsibilities then this wouldn't be such a bash fest.

Also note i said nothing about HOAs. HOAs may be good or bad but they are not the issue in this case.

Craig

I think a bunch of people are using this thread to complain about HOA's when this really has nothing to do with the HOA. The OP is in violation of the local fire ordinances. Those ordinances are based on national guidelines. And they were put in place for a very good reason. Operating a propane powered burner with an open flame in or near a flammable structure has a significant chance of causing a fire. In a multi-unit building that fire will affect many people beyond the person operating the burner. Sure you can operate the burner is a reasonably safe way but it is also very easy to operate in an unsafe way which is why the laws are written the way they are.

I'm sorry but if the OP cannot operate the burner in an open area where it will not have the chance of destroying another persons house then he has no business operating it. And it sounds like he realizes that. Now if all you freedom lovers will realize that you also have responsibilities then this wouldn't be such a bash fest.

Also note i said nothing about HOAs. HOAs may be good or bad but they are not the issue in this case.

Craig

QFT

Craig

OP said FD said it wasnt.

It's not like the HOA came in with military force and took control over a previously "free" condo complex. You buy a share of the place and know damn well you're living under some additional rules.

Well, maybe its not the HOA that suck, more like the people who think they are empowered little fascist dictators.

I would have to agree that one needs to know what you are getting into when you buy a place with one.

My two burners are not 10' from the house when light 'em up more like 6-8'. I also have a deck about 10' over the top.

The risk is really low that I'm gonna catch my house on fire. How do they determine what's better 6, 8, or 10'? Sounds like alarmist over regulating BS. What if his house is all brick? What if his house is cedar sided? The code probably covers the worst case scenario.

The deal here, that's what they want, fight it or suck it up an do something different to brew. If that involves moving, move then.

If that involves moving, move then.

Sweet! Does this mean you're shelling out the down payment?
Seriously though, for the record I have no problem with my HOA. They keep the grounds looking good. I didn't have to shovel a lick of the 35" inches of snow we got in December, or the 101" we got last season. They replaced our roof when it started leaking.
My issue is not with them. If someone hadn't directly called and said something, I don't think they would have cared. My problem is the nosey neighbor who lives right across from my garage. Although, me cutting back on consumption, making smaller batches really isn't a problem either.

Don't get the wrong idea. I am sympathetic to your dilemma. I think the 10' distance is going overboard and the use of BBQ's is not fair.

I would have to say the HOA is generally intended to make sure property values are protected. You don't want the cat lady with 50 cats or the guy that mows his grass twice a year in your neighborhood.

I'm curious as to how you will address this.

If it was up to me I'd make it a goal to move but in the mean time brew PM's inside or go with AC.

There's nothing to really address. It's a municipal law and I have no intention on breaking it. I work in news media, so I try to be a good example. If people start firing up their grill this season too close to their homes, I'll either report to the HOA that I'm seeing a lot of it, or I will let the people know myself.
As for moving, well, we just bought the place 21 months ago, about 2 months before I ever started brewing. So no plans to leave any time too soon, although is a thought for a few years down the road. Certainly not until the market picks back up.

jacksonbrown, sounds like you have the right attitude - you like the benefits of living in that type of community, so you are willing to adapt to the limitations. sucks that you will have limitations on your brewing but it's obviously worth it to you for other reasons.

owning a home under the jurisdiction of a HOA would NEVER work for me, but good for you for keeping perspective on why you want to live there and being reasonable about your dilema.

Seriously though, for the record I have no problem with my HOA. They keep the grounds looking good. I didn't have to shovel a lick of the 35" inches of snow we got in December, or the 101" we got last season. They replaced our roof when it started leaking.

I hate my HOA association too. They are a PIA although they have not tried to get me to stop brewing yet.

So far, I've been doing extract on the stove top...but I recently just bought a turkey fryer and I was thinking about moving out to the deck...I'd rather brew on the deck than in my garage....my garage is filthy and the deck has a nice view andis close to the kitchen...

This is not for the OP, but rather the other posters on this thread. PS - I am also being shut down because of this rule.

However, what pisses me off more than HOAs are people who complain about their HOAs but never join and do any of the hard work themselves. If you want change, get on the board and do something about it.

Unfortunately, it is the FD and not the HOA that are doing the fining. I understand the ordinance though, as in a multi-unit building, one dumb neighbor can cause a lot of damage to other people. In boulder, single- and duplex homes are exempt.

After reading some of this thread, I realize I have lived Way. Too. Long. in a rural area. Forty years or so, was raised in the city but I sure don't know if I can go back.
I try not to think globally these days, believe me, I try really, REALLY hard not to. But we are beginning to institutionalize and legitimize thought control, busybodyism, and the polar opposite of "live and let live." I'm not sure we'll survive it....

I think somebody had a comment on this topic, albeit peripherally....oh, yeah:

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

Eff HOA's. I am SO SO SO glad I bought a home without one. We have a "neighborhood association" but there are no rules, and no fees (optional donations only)

I have had a pile of dirt in my driveway for the better part of 5 months now. And I brew out in the garage/driveway everytime.

Not to be petty, but I can sure play that game if they want to. You may not be able to beat the system, but you sure can break it. I would look at the handbook and report every single infraction that I saw. Hey, it's their rules. If they are going to be A$@es about it then I can be a bigger one.

I'm not sure why people choose to live like rats stacked on top of each other in places like townhomes but if you accept that type of lifestyle, you deserve what you get. So just brew indoors. In the wintertime I brew 6 gallon all grain indoors on my electric stove, granted it is more powerful than the average stove and takes a little longer to get to a boil than my propane burner but once it gets there it works just fine.

I'm not sure why people choose to live like rats stacked on top of each other in places like townhomes but if you accept that type of lifestyle, you deserve what you get. So just brew indoors. In the wintertime I brew 6 gallon all grain indoors on my electric stove, granted it is more powerful than the average stove and takes a little longer to get to a boil than my propane burner but once it gets there it works just fine.

Some of us really have no choice. Now, I wouldn't say I live "like a rat stacked on top of" one another but I do live in a single-family home housing development with an HOA (OK, really nothing like rats on top of each other but still much closer to my neighbors that what I like so hear me out). I grew up in the country and still love the country but there are no engineering jobs in the country (at least around here). So, I am forced to live here in order to make the nice income that I do. The HOA doesnt care about anything in my community. The fees are low and the hassle is non-existent and I can always drive the 1+ hours back home to let loose and get away but my point is that not everyone "choose" to live where they do...

The problem is Nosy Nelly can see you. Just lower the door to about knee high. That leaves room to ventilate but not observe.

Dude, if you need a place to do a big brew then I have a house plus neighbors who mind their own business plus a big backyard with a 6' privacy fence. PM me if you want to do a big batch.

P.S. I have no AG equipment lol

Dude, people live where they can afford. No need to be vindictive. If you want to take care of the down payment on a half-acre property with two yards and a four-car garage for the OP, nothing's stopping you.

Latest posts

Back