Soda Clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillKirk

Reaction score
I've recently been making a few different sodas, and perhaps I'm not doing something correctly, but each one I've made thus far (about 4 different kinds) always has a sort of murky "dissolved sugar" look to it.

Is it possible to use something like Bentonite (spelling?) to clarify soda? I'd like to get it to look a little more pleasant looking, it always looks really cloudy.

Just FYI I'm using yeast to carb it up (and add a little "zing") so I don't know if that matters or not.

Any ideas?

the Bentonite might work. Another idea would be to use a candi sugar - or invert sugar. www.skeeterpee.com details how to make candi/invert sugar, basically it was supper saturated water that was boild for a while. I'm thinking it might be clearer when it finishes, or maybe not.

It matters quite a bit since the murkyness will be from suspended yeast. You're going to have to see if there is anyone else who has tried clearing it, since I think that any additions may be stirred up when opening the soda and could give odd flavors or sensations. (Drinking Bentonite that gets stirred up from the releasing carbonation for example)

Back