Sierra Nevada Weizenbock Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclonite

Reaction score
So I picked up a couple twelve packs of the 2011 Sierra Nevada Beer Camp series last fall, and my wife loved the Weizenbock (as did I). I decided to harvest the yeast, step it up and make a Weizenbock with it. Came out great. However, the yeast is extremely Belgian like in character (both in the original SN beer and mine). It has some great fruitiness and an extremely peppery profile (fermented at 67).

My question: does anyone know what yeast this is? It doesn't seem anything like any Hef yeast that I've used due to the peppery profile (definitely pepper, not clove). The profile is very similar to some of Unibroue's more peppery offerings (La Terrible or Maudite, can't remember which). I think I may actually do a BDSA grain bill and split the wort with this and Unibroue's yeast to see how they compare.

If anyone has the yeast pedigree for this one, I'd love to know.

Cheers!

It's probably the same yeast as their Kellerweis, based off of the description in those links. They obtained it from a smaller German brewery and nobody else is using it commercially here.

Thanks for the info and links!

I think I'll try using this for my next Hefeweizen to see what I get compared to WLP300, which I normally use. I really liked the peppery profile in the original Weizenbock and the Weizenbock I brewed with the yeast - very different from what I'm used to (as I mentioned, it seems more Belgian in character). Interestingly, I did not get much banana, but that could be due to my fermentation temp. It did have some good fruitiness, but I would describe it as stone-fruit.

Back