What is wrong with my burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tidehouse

Reaction score
I can't maintain a boil to save my life. I have about 6 gallons in a 10 gallon aluminum pot with a banjo cooker. I've tried opening up the regulator all the way. Giving it more air, less air, and every combination in between and it will not maintain a boil. What is wrong? How can I get the most heat out of the burner? :(

Make sure the valve on the gas line is closed before you open the valve on the tank. If you don't, you'll trip an internal safety valve and all you'll get is a tiny little flame.

Make sure the valve on the gas line is closed before you open the valve on the tank. If you don't, you'll trip an internal safety valve and all you'll get is a tiny little flame.

Can I also add that opening the valve on the fuel tank too quickly can also trip the safety mechanism in the regulator resulting in a minimal flame.

This sounds like an OPD tank valve problem, as outlined in the previous posts. To clear the valve:

1. Make sure the tank valve is closed.

2. Open the regulator valve, then close it.

3. Open the tank valve fully.

4. Crack open the regulator valve and light burner, then open to level desired.

Well, I'll be damned. I've had this problem before and scurried about trying to switch tanks etc. I'm not sure if this is the OP's problem but I'll bet it's mine.

thanks guys.

I had a problem like this as well. Turned out that my regulator was clogging up. Took of the input and output to the regulator and gave it a good cleaning with a small wirebrush. I also cleaned the hose and the inlet valve.

Worked like a champ! When my Regulator is set for 11 (yes my reg goes to 11) I can get about a 3 foot flame.

Give this a try.

Also remember to use PVC tape on the threads when putting it back together.

To the original poster, you might want to verify you have the proper regulator with your burner. I looked up the banjo burner on amazon.com and saw it called for a 30psi. regulator. I would think if it shipped with something smaller it could be a problem as well.

I've had this problem before. I tripped the OPD valve. Turn off propane, disconnect regulator, re-connect regulator, and light.

3. Open the tank valve fully.

4. Crack open the regulator valve and light burner, then open to level desired.

:off: Rico, my buddy's regulator valve, where it is crimped, is now leaking gas. Isn't it not recommended to have the pressure of a wide-open propane tank, building up in the regulator?

The directions for my burner (a Bayou Classic SP-10) state to open the tank valve fully. If I had a leak as you describe, I'd replace the hose/regulator.

Latest posts

Back