bottle bombs after 7 weeks?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My belgian tripel has had two bottle bombs after being in the bottles at 72F for over 7 weeks. This is very strange to me. The beer is delicious and got 78% apparent attenuation. I gave it about 2.7 volumes of CO2. I think this might be the issue. I want to submit this one for a competition, but I certainly don't want to hurt anyone! I'm thinking to carefully put the bottles into cardboard boxes and give them a good rattle. Any bottles that are on the verge will be set off by that, and the ones that survive that should survive just fine once chilled. I've heard about people venting and resealing. Any other tips?

WOW, are you sure they were finished before you bottled them???

I don't think you want to rattle them, I would consider trying to vent them though...

But, do you think you can borrow one of these before you go and do anything?

Bomb%20Squad%20002.jpg

Is it just me or does the guy in that suit look like a five year old?

Edit: And why no gloves?

Yeah man, he looks like he is about 5. No gloves makes me curious too haha! Maybe he needs nothing blocking his fingers so he can mess with the wires easier. :cross:

No gushing from the ones we've opened and drank. And at 78% attenuation and 7 weeks in primary/secondary I'm pretty sure it was ready to bottle.

Edit: And why no gloves?

Haha...A bit off the thread topic, but from what I understand, they need all the hand dexterity they can get (choosing the tiny red or blue wires, with three seconds left, as always), and there really isn't any kind of glove that would make it worth while...if the bomb goes off, your hands will probably too...gloves or no gloves.

I had some bottles randomly break, all from the same batch of beer about two months after bottling. The bottles may had been used a few times, but they all broke cleanly right above the bottom bend. I chalk it up to the bottles fatiguing. Quess ill have to see what happens next batch.

Back