How do commercial brewers do big beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
Not really HOW do they make them, but how do they get them out?

I understand that if you brew a bigger beer at home, then you have to let it sit for months before it's good enough to start drinking, but I'm drinking a 10.2% right now, and it really doesn't have the same amount of alcohol warmth that I've had at 8% after a few months.

I'm assuming that brewers don't have the time to age something for several months before they distribute it, so how do they get their bigger beers out (this is my assumption) so much quicker than we can?

I heard something about the larger the vessel the quicker it ages. Kind of like the old thing about kegged beer aging faster and differently than bottles.

I heard something about the larger the vessel the quicker it ages. Kind of like the old thing about kegged beer aging faster and differently than bottles.

yes, bulk conditioning is faster but the quicker they get it out of their tanks the quicker they can fill it back up to sell more beer.

I know I read in Sam Caligione's book that he says it's not uncommon for them to age a big beer for 3 months before handing it over to distributors. Therefore being a contributing factor to some of their beers steep price tag. Now I know that's still a green beer if we're talking a big beer, but that's quite a long time.

Some breweries will brew their big beers as seasonals and release it once a year, leaving them a small window (1-3 months) to age it themselves before having it hit the market (Dieu du Ciel! does this). I agree that they can brew it "clean" in the first place, meaning that they don't have any flaw to age out, but even commercial big beers as a whole will tend to actually get better if the consummer sits on it for a while instead of consuming it right away. Many homebrewers can also flawlessly brew big beers (pitch rate, fermentation control), yet they still age it. Why ? Because they simply have the luxury to do so. I'm guessing that if commercial breweries who release a lot of big beers could sit on some for a whole year before handing it to the customer, they would also do it.

Not really HOW do they make them, but how do they get them out?

I understand that if you brew a bigger beer at home, then you have to let it sit for months before it's good enough to start drinking, but I'm drinking a 10.2% right now, and it really doesn't have the same amount of alcohol warmth that I've had at 8% after a few months.

I'm assuming that brewers don't have the time to age something for several months before they distribute it, so how do they get their bigger beers out (this is my assumption) so much quicker than we can?

I think the thing that is being missed is that most of the Larger breweries can afford to age a really big beer before release because they have their standard brews making their profit. Utopias for example, some of the beers blended to make it were 16-19 years old.

I think the thing that is being missed is that most of the Larger breweries can afford to age a really big beer before release because they have their standard brews making their profit. Utopias for example, some of the beers blended to make it were 16-19 years old.

Nobody is missing that. You are not describing the norm though. Sierra Nevada releases Bigfoot, which is quite a big beer, about a month after brewing it. It's not even a little bit hot or solventy or overly estery or phenolic or whatever. You can do that as a hombrewer too, if you want to.

Some brews are aged by the breweries, Bigfoot is supossed to be aged 6 or 8 months... or so. Mostly pro brewers are superior at pitch-rate & temp control producing a more flawless brew. Plus filtration. glycol induced cold crashing, etc all help things along.

Schlante,
Phillip

Some breweries will brew their big beers as seasonals and release it once a year, leaving them a small window (1-3 months) to age it themselves before having it hit the market (Dieu du Ciel! does this). I agree that they can brew it "clean" in the first place, meaning that they don't have any flaw to age out, but even commercial big beers as a whole will tend to actually get better if the consummer sits on it for a while instead of consuming it right away. Many homebrewers can also flawlessly brew big beers (pitch rate, fermentation control), yet they still age it. Why ? Because they simply have the luxury to do so. I'm guessing that if commercial breweries who release a lot of big beers could sit on some for a whole year before handing it to the customer, they would also do it.

my favourite craft brewery (garrison, in Halifax, NS), brew a strong winter warmer, barleywine, and black ipa as seasonals, and only release them in late november/december, through probably marchish. in the summer they release more seasonal fruit beers, blackberry wheat, etc. which are obviously not big beers

Nobody is missing that. You are not describing the norm though. Sierra Nevada releases Bigfoot, which is quite a big beer, about a month after brewing it. It's not even a little bit hot or solventy or overly estery or phenolic or whatever. You can do that as a hombrewer too, if you want to.

Oh sure you can i know, i was just saying that cost wise it doesn't hurt them.
To do it on a home brew scale isn't impossible, but it is costly.But i know what you mean, it isn't hard, if you got the money to set up and brew like the pros do.

Oh sure you can i know, i was just saying that cost wise it doesn't hurt them.
To do it on a home brew scale isn't impossible, but it is costly.But i know what you mean, it isn't hard, if you got the money to set up and brew like the pros do.

Not very costly. Refrigerators are very cheap to free on craigslist. A temp controller is about $60. You can propagate yeast just fine in a soda bottle. $60 for a temp controller amortized over the hundreds of batches it can be used on is negligible.

Back