5 gallon corney on side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
If I can fit a 5 gallon corney keg in my home fridge on its side (not standing up), is that okay?

Could I carbonate standing up while OUT of the fridge (at room temp), then put in fridge to store, then remove (stand it back upright) to dispense for drinking, then put back in on its side to store?

or am i just gonna have to buy a separate fridge? :cross:

Well....I don't know.

I do know that in a couple of the cornys I have the liquid tube curls toward the centre of the corny at the base, so would only get about half my brew out before the bottom would run dry.

Just keep the gas inlet on the up side I guess, so you don't foam your brew.

Anyone else!!

IGOR

You cac bend the outlet tube so that it points to one side, just make sure that side is down.

You don't need to have it standing up to carb, just make sure you have a anti-backflow valve installed in your airline.

Might a well go with teh second fridge... Then you can kegorate!

You can even go with a 5.5 cuft fridge and put a draft tower on top. Can fit 2 kegs in those.

You can always dispense from the inlet tube. Just set the keg at a slight incline (bottom end up) and you can serve just fine.

Wild

I've been doing exactly that for a couple months now while we build an addition and I can hook up the second fridge again...

I force carbonate the keg, once it's carbonated I release all but 10lbs or so of pressure (to keep the lid tight) then put it in the fridge on its side on the bottom shelf... Each night at drinking time, I pull it out, hook it up to the co2, drain the pressure back to 2-5 psi (dispensing pressure), and drink... Before I go to bed, I take off the tap, pump the keg back up to 10lbs or so, and stick it back in the fridge...

Works great, but I cant wait to have my 2nd fridge back...

Latest posts

Back