Anybody fermented cool w/ Wyeast 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
I've been trying to ferment my pale ale at around 68 F but its been down in the lower 60's and it has gone really slow. Much slower than other times I've used this yeast. Have any of you guys fermented at the low end w/ this yeast and if so how much longer did it take your primary? Was there any taste benefit? Wyeast website said the low end for this is 60 F.

Regards,
Al

I'm using 1056 now on an Amber Ale and I'm keeping mine in the mid 60's. I read in a book (I think Brew Like A Monk) that a brewer says to always keep it below 68 for a cleaner taste. So I think you'll be happy with the results.

I typically ferment this at 65F, and it comes out very clean. Hell, even at 75F it comes out clean...but for a really light ale 65F is perfect. If you're at the low end of the temperature range, I would expect fermentation to take 1-2 weeks longer.

I fermented an IPA at 63F and I got 76%AA. Next time I'm going to pitch more yeast because it finished a little high at 1.016.

If you ferment cooler then I suggest to use enough yeast as the process takes longer and just like using lager yeast they work slower and so they need extra help when using some of the ale strains. I have found that Nottingham is quite good at lower temperatures.

Thanks for the replies. This one was supposed to be at about 68 F but I used the carboy in the tub of water wrapped in a towel trick and it got colder than I thought. I was going by the thermometer on the carboy and even putting ice in the water and when I checked w/ a good thermometer, it was around 62 F. It has fluctuated a bit in temp but its only been 9 days. The Krausen has begun to recede but it still looks like it needs a few more days.

Regards,
Al

That's great on holding the temperature. If more new brewers would do this they would brew much better beer. Good job. :)

That's great on holding the temperature. If more new brewers would do this they would brew much better beer. Good job. :)

Thanks.

This is my first AG so I was not going to cut any corners in the fermentation. I've fermented this strain lots of times and i usually just put the carboy in the bathroom closet and close the door. It has a floor register in there and it is a small room so it stays cooler than the rest of the house. This has worked fine except for one where I lost my mind and pitched really hot. @78F

So far its gone 11 days and and the krausen has still not cleared completely which is slower than any other ale ferment I've ever had. Naturally this being my first AG, I'm anxious to see how this one turns out. THis is also the first time I used my new wort aerator. I assume the slow ferment time is due to the temp.

Thanks again for the tips,
Al

Back