Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetbrewing

Reaction score
Botteled my first batch 7 days ago and was wondering how long it takes to carbonate? I want to taste it now but would it be a waste to crack one so soon? Thanks

closetbrewing said:
Botteled my first batch 7 days ago and was wondering how long it takes to carbonate? I want to taste it now but would it be a waste to crack one so soon? Thanks

If its been at room temperature, it's probably CARBONATED ... But this doesn't mean it's ready. You should wait 3 weeks for the best results on most beers. But if you pop one in he fridge for a day (to allow the carbonation to dissolve into the beer), you should be able to enjoy one tomorrow :)

It's your first batch, try putting two bottles in the fridge now. Open one after a day and another one after a week. Take notes on clarity and head appearance. When you open the one after a week, do it again! On the third week from today, start chilling however much you want according to your newfound knowledge.

I always say I'll wait longer but when a week rolls around I try one out and, usually, it is not carbed enough or at all. 3 days later I try one again. What a difference that makes! After the 2 week mark its pretty good, but as noted already, if you can stay away from them for longer (especially if its a higher grav beer), plus condition in the fridge, it will be fantastic.

I always try one at a week. Mine have all been pretty carbed at the 1 week mark. It's your beer do as you please. The more you drink now the less you have down the road. Another good reason to make more now.

It's your beer, OP - do anything you like. With that being said...

Three weeks at 70 degrees F is the baseline for most beers. Cooler temps or higher OG can make this time longer. It is a baseline; some beers may be ready earlier, some may take longer.

To me, popping a bottle at one week, then another at two, is a potential waste of two bottles of beer. Sure, you can "take notes", but unless you plan to brew the identical recipe again and again, and treat it exactly the same (temps, efficiency, volumes, etc), these notes aren't too useful. Basically, you are guaranteeing that, when you get to the last few bottles of the batch (which are typically the best ones, thanks to a little age), you'll have one or two fewer good beers in the name of "research".

But again, it's your beer.

I've always made myself wait at least three weeks. Better at for on average. Then through a happy accident labor day '11,I found that two weeks fridge time makes for thicker head & longer lasting carbonation. Sometimes,1 week is enough. Sometimes it isn't. Each batch of beer is a little different in behavior one way or another.

Back