High mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetzie

Wetzelbrew
Reaction score
I tried a search but no-one has failed like I have. I did a english brown ale with 10 lbs of grain and came in way too high for mash temp. My target was 152f and came in at 160f for 15 muntes and then lowered to 152f for 1 hour.

My efficiency was 87% and I wonder if I got a lot of sugar because of the high temps.

It is fermenting fine an day 2 but was wondering what am I going to get as far as flavor.
thanx

I dont think there's any way to really tell other than wait and find out. RDWHAHB

No way to know until it's done, but the OG doesn't tell you how much starch got converted. It could get stuck at a very high FG from remaining starch. That's what happened to two of my batches when my temp was way off. There's also the possibility that it will turn out great with no problems.

i ferment at 160 all the time because i like full bodied beers, i bet your beer will be fine.

Ya, I prefer fermenting at 212. After a week there's just hopped dme left. :). Jk. But seriously though, I ferment at 150. Jk again. Mashing at 160 will be great with that beer.

Pfft, you guys are noobs! All the pro's, including myself, ferment at 350 and mash at 600.

Rev.

My target was 152f and came in at 160f for 15 muntes and then lowered to 152f for 1 hour.

My efficiency was 87% and I wonder if I got a lot of sugar because of the high temps.

the enzymes aren't immediately denatured, it'll probably have a slightly higher fg than intended. temp is unrelated to efficiency, you should have near 100% conversion every time.

but the OG doesn't tell you how much starch got converted.

actually, thats exactly what the OG tells you

It tells you how dense your wort is, but if you have starch in your wort, it can still be a high gravity. That's what a starch test is for. The one I screwed up on had high 70s in efficiency with a gravity of 1.075. It got stuck at 1.040 and there was no sweetness to it. Amylase brought it down to about 1.014. It was a different situation though. My thermometer was off, so my entire mash was at about 162 even though the thermometer said 154. A short time at that temp won't denature enzymes.

It tells you how dense your wort is, but if you have starch in your wort, it can still be a high gravity.

you're talking about dextrins, they;re not the same as starch. starch is insoluble in water at the temps hydrometer readings are stable, and will have no effect on the reading.

That high of a temp mash will result in unfermentable that creates body, if add amylase your basic maching up a bulk mash enviroment while in fermentation phase, if yoy FG is higher than expect try a sample ,if its to sweet your primary ferm is not complete, otherwise youll have awesome tasting mistake, the wonders of homebrew..... Cheers

dcp27 said:
you're talking about dextrins, they;re not the same as starch. starch is insoluble in water at the temps hydrometer readings are stable, and will have no effect on the reading.

Could there be that much dextrin to leave a beer at 1.040 from 1.075? It seems like alpha amylase would make more fermentables than that after 1 hour at 162f.

Back