Starter, Aeration, Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangehero

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm working on my first batch of brew, a Belgian Wheat (6 lb belgian pilsner, 5.5 lb flaked wheat), currently fermenting in primary at 68-70*F.

I created a 1 L starter with Light DME and WLP400 yeast on a stir-plate, and the starter made a vigorous krausen that spilled out of my 1.5 quart glass bottle. (need bigger container)

I was expecting the same thing to happen in my 6.5 gal carboy, but the yeast only made a nice 2 in. thick krausen. From what I understand a wheat beer is usually a problem with krausen overflow, and I was expecting to have to use a blow-off tube...not the case though.

For aeration I shook the carboy, but not very much, so perhaps this is the reason the krausen is not as vigorous. I did use simethicone in the kettle, so that may also be responsible. (I bought the generic baby anti-gas drops and it worked wonderfully with 2 drops per gallon...I wasn't paying attention and my kettle went to a boil with the lid on, still no problems, not even a hint of boil-over)

From what I understand, the yeast uses oxygen to reproduce, so is the necessity to thoroughly aerate the wort reduced if a starter is prepared?

If shaking the carboy for aeration, for how long should I be shaking it?

Does making a starter usually reduce the vigorousness of the krausen?

Thanks and cheers!

The drops you used will keep the krausen down....one of it's purposes. The use of a starter is not a replacement for aerating your wort. If your doing the shaking method you need to go ape sh*& on it. Alot of guys (and gals) use oxygen to aerate, but I use a wine degassing wand hooked to my drill. Whips the beer into a nice foam. Never had a problem since I started using it.

94.jpg

Back