homebrew not good for party's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmpeethree

Reaction score
by party's, i mean taking out of your house.

i took a couple 2 litres bottles over to a friends place for poker night, and by the time we got there, it looked like all the yeast at the bottom was floating around, completely cloudy

to experiment, i took another one of the 2 litres and shook it after it had been conditioning for 2 weeks (it was crystal clear after a week and a half) 4 days later, the yeast has still not settled and its cloudy.

is this always the case? does it never settle again once it has settled? or just take a very, very long time?

I've never had a problem w/ my 2L growlers or taking whole kegs over to peoples houses for party's. Just drive slow and safe!

Having a kegger with home brew rocks!!!

Anytime I give some homebrew to a guest leaving my house, I always tell them to leave it in the fridge for a couple days to let the yeast setttle after transporting it. Then of course the instructions not to dump-pour it or play catch with the bottle prior to pouring.

There are a few yeasts that will form a tight cake on the bottom. Look for highly flocculate strains. Let your brews clear for a few extra weeks, bottle carefully and give them extra time to carbonate.

Hopfan said:
I've seen 2 paths here...some pour gently to avoid the yeast, others drink it down. Perhaps a poll is in order?
I started a poll but no replies. (First poll and I did click the public option so people can see who voted for what. ...Did not think of the implications that may have on the privacy of the day to day business of bodily functions so to speak!)

link : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17811

Something I noticed back in my dune buggy days. The cooler strapped to the floor would pretty much shake up the beer. But not if it had ice water in it. I'm of the school of "don't drain the cooler- you are only replacing ice cold water with 100 degree air" but then I learned that the water also dampens lots of the shaking. It would probably help in bottle transport too. I'd try cooling a couple gallons in the fridge, then dumping it in with the ice.

Does it really matter if it looks cloudy? - so long as it tastes good I don't see why you should bother fussing over it, but maybe it's just me. Then again, I can see how u might want to show off your brew to your friends and be like "Look at how clear it is, doesn't it look pretty? Lets drink it!!!".

Back