Austin Homebrew Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keim

Reaction score
After seeing positive comments about Austin Homebrews other recipes, I decided to try their Barley Wine. I ordered last night. Now I'm curious-have others here tried it? Description or thoughts on it?

I brewed the Barleywine last weekend. The instructions were certainly clear, and the brew went well. It currently has a good head of krausen, and a LOT of trub. Plan to rack to secondary after 1 month, and age it for a total of 6 months. So, can't report on how good the recipe is for a while...

I would recommend on all beers to transfer to the secondary 2-3 days after final gravity has been reached. You can age it longer in the secondary. Beer that has finished fermenting doesn't need to sit on top of all the trub for that long. It will definately change the flavor.

People are going to chime in and say "I have left my beers on the trub for a long time without any problem." Sure you have and yes, it was still drinkable. But it was different than it was intended to taste like.

Age your beer with as little sediment as you can.

Forrest

I would recommend on all beers to transfer to the secondary 2-3 days after final gravity has been reached. You can age it longer in the secondary. Beer that has finished fermenting doesn't need to sit on top of all the trub for that long. It will definately change the flavor.

People are going to chime in and say "I have left my beers on the trub for a long time without any problem." Sure you have and yes, it was still drinkable. But it was different than it was intended to taste like.

Age your beer with as little sediment as you can.

Forrest

What...no one jumps all over this? Where are all the people who insist that leaving it on the cake makes their beer taste so much more yummy?

I think if you leave it on for a prolonged period it will absolutely change the flavor.

He has a point and put in the quote.

With that said I have left ale's on trub for a month and tasted no off flavors to date but I haven't left it for any longer than that (only did it cuz the secondary was occupied at the time)

Thought I'd provide an update. I brewed this beer about 2 months ago, and have been aging it in secondary. Just bottled today. AHB says to age it for 3 months, so it is still a bit green. Despite that, I gave it a try. It is delicious. Can't wait until it is properly aged and carbed. Hats off to Austin Homebrew!

Back