How do you clean your racking cane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
I'm curious, how does everyone clean their racking canes? I have a stainless steel racing cane that I got with my kit and find it rather challenging to clean/sanitize. The best way I've found to sanitize it is to make up a Star-San solution in the bathtub and give it a soak right before I use it. It's too long for my 5 gal sanitizing bucket not to mention that I'm trying not to use too much Star-San unnecessarily. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and comments.

I siphon water through it to rinse after use. Than siphon sanitizer through it before use. Spray bottle with sanitizer for the outside.

I "force" water through it from my sink to clean it after use and before the next use. I sanitize it in my bucket/carboy. I put it in the bucket/carboy for a while, the grab it and turn it over. I've always used plastic and I was even able to feed the curved end into the carboy. I am switching to stainless because I have some left over and I don't have to worry about scratching it as easily. However, I will still clean/sanitize the same way. Luck - Dwain

P.S. The above poster also stated the use of a brush, now thaqt I use a stainless cane, I'll do this also.

I just use it and immediately rinse sink water through it. WHen I'm done for the day , I siphon star san through it.

Cool, thanks guys!

I do make a habit of cleaning up everything really well after I use it, then sanitize right before the next use. I am getting ready to rack my second batch from primary to secondary tonight or tomorrow night. I don't really need a large batch of Star-San for this operation, so I guess I'll make up a small batch siphon it through then thoroughly wet the outside of the cane and rack away.

At the end of the brew day (or as soon as I'm done using it to rack to secondary, etc.), I set up a warm bucket of starsan to "soak" my equipment. I set up the racking cane with the tubing and start a siphon with it into the sink. The warm solution cleans the cane and tubing out pretty good. I then re-santize before the next use.

I use one of those plastic liners from a wallpaper tray as shown below. I soak all of the long items that won't fit in a bucket well in this with StarSan before & after use...
Wallpaper0023-2.jpg

12804h.jpg

++++1 on the wallpaper tray. I use a 30" wallpaper tray I got at the hardware store for $5 for all my small items....and it's plenty long enough for the autosiphon, thief, and the hose I use (doubled up). Everything gets immersed in one batch. What it doesn't get and can be sprayed, like buckets & carboys, gets hit with the spray bottle. With Star San, a piece of cake.

I just run water through it after each use.

BTW
Wallpaper tray.
Saves sanitizer, easy to clean up and cheap.

Back