Brew Kettle Sight Glass Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneHotKarl

Reaction score
I'm putting together a sight glass from some parts I have leftover and I was wondering if it is necessary to add valves on the top and bottom to stop fluid flow into the tube.

My reasoning is that during a boil you will have some wort in the sight tube that is not at a complete boil and therefore not sterilized.

Is this an issue? I've seen many people use these tubes without a valve.

I wouldn't worry about it. If it were that much of a concern, these homebrew shops would be supplying them with valves....and they don't

They pasteurize at temps as low as 160. I wouldn't worry too much about not being at a full rolling boil.

The only reason you might want to use a valve is safety. If you break the glass/plastic you might lose the entire batch. However, it's hard to figure a way to put a valve in and still retain resolution down to only a couple gallons. On my keg vessels, the sights start reading at 3.5 gallons and that's with no valve.

or you can break it, and stick ur finger over the broken glass end, and cut up several fingers as well as burn them. But in turn only lose a few quarts of wort. i then tilted the keg far enough to stop the flow out of the hole and, then reinstalled the longer piece of the broken sight glass. Problem "solved". :)

Valve might not be a bad idea

Latest posts

Back