Fruit wine instead of fruit extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpseaton

Reaction score
My wife brought home a bottle of raspberry flavored wine recently. It really has a pronounced raspberry flavor to it. I was wondering if I could use the raspberry wine to flavor my wheat beer instead of using a raspberry extract when I bottle. I'm not a big fan of the extract flavorings, as they can taste a little like cough syrup. Has anybody tried this or have any comments?

I haven't done it myself, but I've been reading about adding raspberry flavor to beer as well. One thing to remember if bottle conditioning (which it sounds like you are), is that the higher ABV wine may be higher than your beer yeast tolerance (not sure which yeast you used), and may therefore kill the remaining yeast in the beer, making bottle conditioning difficult. You may want to add some dry wine yeast with a higher ABV tolerance at bottling to be sure they carb up properly...

I did this in a stout. Used a 375ml bottle of a local raspberry wine to soak cacao nibs and coffee beans in. Added it all right in primary after fermentation. It did what I wanted. Just a very subtle hint of "something" at the end. But I would bet in a wheat beer it would add a bit more flavor. And I had no issues with the higher abv of the wine with the yeast. Conditioned in the keg with corn sugar plus a few bottles, everything carbed up fine.

Back