Multiple mashes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I've been brewing since June and have found it to be a wonderful hobby, especially considering that I love to cook/bake/make stuff anyway. For Christmas I asked for some upgraded equipment so that I could do 10G AG batches. The only "problem" is that I didn't get a mash tun (I'm SO not complaining, just stating that I don't have one yet). I do have 2 5G pots, and have been doing stovetop mashes in a paint strainer bag until now.

So here is the question: could I just do the mash split into those two pots and then transfer them both to my 15G to do the boil? I don't see why not, other than the temp control isn't that great, but wanted to ask before I did it.

I would also be interested if anyone has other ideas about overcoming not having a tun yet. This was just the first thing that sprang to my mind.

Cheers! :mug:

don't see why you couldn't split the mash in half. it'd be more of a pain that mashing ll together, but if you don't have the equipment (i don't either), two half mashes combined should equal the wort you're looking for.

Back