new to kegging; no need for aging after carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am an avid bottling fan. I love the idea of easily taking a few bottles with me to a party, family gathering, or work social meet-up. I also like the look of having 2 full cases of beer, and the storage is easier for me than to stick a bunch of scuba tanks of beer into a fridge. That is double if there is only a couple bottles worth of beer left.

That being said, my father in law as well as myself are considering kegging. If anything, it would make making soda easier as focre-carbing seems the safest way to do this. And as we have found a few great recipes that we want to keep on hand for drinking, it might be fun to have a kegerator. Also, on bottles filled from a keep I don't have to train people about drink the beer due to trub on the bottom of the bottle.

I am used to giving the brew 3 weeks in primary to ferment and condition and then 3 weeks in bottle to carb up and condition. If I keg, can I skip that 3 weeks of bottle conditioning? I would figure I would instead keep the brew in the fermenter for a couple more weeks (5-6), keg, carb, and once it is properly carbed then it is good to drink.

Thanks for any info! And worry not my bottling brethren, I would not be abandoning bottling!

The 3 weeks in the bottle isn't just for conditioning, it's allowing time for it to get carbed. I frequently will leave a brew in the fermenter for 3/4 weeks, keg, force carb, and drink. It's just that simple. Of course, you can ask 10 brewers this same question and you'll get 15 different answers.

I also bottle as well. And occasionally I'll bottle from the keg. Many, many choices here. :D

I still age my kegs for 2-3 weeks (minimum) at room temp prior to carbing. I use the set-it-and-forget-it method of carbing, so it's usually carbing for 2 weeks as well.

I would figure I would instead keep the brew in the fermenter for a couple more weeks (5-6), keg, carb, and once it is properly carbed then it is good to drink.

That's typically what I will do. But I will primary for 4-5 weeks, then set it and forget it for a few weeks to let it force carb until a tap is free.

I have done both methods. Primary for 4 weeks then keg and drink. Primary for 3-4 weeks, rack to keg and condition at room temp for a week or 2. Either way my beer tastes best after about 2 weeks in the kegerator (either set and forget or burst carbing).

I suppose it depends more on the style you brewed.

1-2 weeks in the primary (depends on the style and speed at which it fermented), +/- 2 weeks in secondary. Send to keg, hook up the CO2 immediately. I start sampling on day #3, until I'm satisfied with carbonation (usually 7-10 days).

Depending on the style of beer, it takes about 2 more weeks to clarify in the keg (for paler styles).

M_C

A lot of newbie brewers who keg don't even realize they are drinking green beer, and how much better their beer is with some coniditioning time in the keg. Carbonation is not the same thing as conditioning.

A lot of bottled beers may take 3 weeks to carb, BUT still need 4 weeks, or 6 months to condition, so why do you think YOUR beer just because you force CARB would be any different?

But just like beer benefit from bottle condidtioning, they will benefit from Keg conditioning as well. Most experienced brewers who keg, have a pipeline and they have beers waiting to get into rotation for a few weeks, and they are conditioning while they are sitting there.....

Also your beer and soda kegs have to run on different pressures. Soda is usually about 30psi to be properly carbonated, but beer likely won't exceed 14 psi, ever.

You need about 25 feet of 3/16" beer line to bring the soda kegs down to serving pressure too, or you'll just blast flat, foamy soda into the glass.

Its doable, but you have to have the equipment for it, that's all. Kegging is great, but there's a fair number of variables to juggle for a good system that you won't fight to get good beer/soda out of.

Whats the difference between conditioning in the keg or in the fermenter(primary or bright tank)? I have always wondered why everyone insists on waiting 3+weeks after the beer reaches its final serving vessel. Sitting uncarbed in a keg vs sitting in a carboy doesn't seem to be any different?

i know my bottled beer tastes better the longer i wait even after it is fully carbonated, but I just can't seem to understand how leaving it in a keg instead of a carboy would change the flavor?

Whats the difference between conditioning in the keg or in the fermenter(primary or bright tank)? I have always wondered why everyone insists on waiting 3+weeks after the beer reaches its final serving vessel. Sitting uncarbed in a keg vs sitting in a carboy doesn't seem to be any different?

i know my bottled beer tastes better the longer i wait even after it is fully carbonated, but I just can't seem to understand how leaving it in a keg instead of a carboy would change the flavor?

I don't see any difference. The vessel the beer is in isn't the least bit important. I usually don't rack to a secondary, and keg my beers at 2-3 weeks old. Usually, I'm drinking them by week 3-4. Some beers, like a complex roasty stout, might need some aging, but most don't. Remember that aging is faster at warmer temperatures, so sticking the keg in the kegerator will slow down the aging process in a beer that needs age. But keeping the keg at room temperature is no different than keeping a carboy at room temperature.

I don't see any difference. The vessel the beer is in isn't the least bit important. I usually don't rack to a secondary, and keg my beers at 2-3 weeks old. Usually, I'm drinking them by week 3-4. Some beers, like a complex roasty stout, might need some aging, but most don't. Remember that aging is faster at warmer temperatures, so sticking the keg in the kegerator will slow down the aging process in a beer that needs age. But keeping the keg at room temperature is no different than keeping a carboy at room temperature.

That was my logic as well that the vessel is irrelevant. Although from what I have read it seems as though people say 5 weeks in primary and 1 week in keg to carb is inferior in some way to 3 weeks in primary 3 weeks in keg. I haven't gotten kegging equipment yet, but this has always been a point of confusion for me

That was my logic as well that the vessel is irrelevant. Although from what I have read it seems as though people say 5 weeks in primary and 1 week in keg to carb is inferior in some way to 3 weeks in primary 3 weeks in keg. I haven't gotten kegging equipment yet, but this has always been a point of confusion for me

You've never heard ME say that! I never go more than 3 weeks in primary, and often less. I agree that it won't hurt to let it go longer, but I don't see a benefit either. I'm NOT in the "leave it in primary for a month" bandwagon. Like I said, it won't hurt it and if you're bottling perhaps it will give the beer more time to clear up and condition before bottling. But I have never done it, and don't see a benefit.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I just assumed that you were on that bandwagon because I hadn't seen you disagree. Its nice to see varying opinions on that topic from people who are very wide spread on this forum.

Personally still undecided on the topic, but doing experimentations.

Sorry for thread hijack

i leave in primary 2 weeks (min). keg and put in keezer. after 2 days keg is ready for a tsp of gelatin (dissolved in 2oz water). by waiting 2 days the beer forms chill haze and will be crystal when carbed...then leave 2 weeks at serving pressure. so 4 weeks from brew day to pour...first beer tapped will have some junk in it due to gelatin but the 2nd will be crystal...

I have quick carbed beers many times in the past (before I built my keezer...) but don't recommend it unless you are in a pinch...my favorite way was 36-42 hrs at 30psi purge and set at 10psi (serving)...it works but 2 weeks at 10psi works better. (smaller bubbles, smoother beer)...

fyi make beer lines 3/16" and at least 6-8 feet...seems overkill but short lines foam like crazy.

cheers :mug:

I agree, I don't think it matters what vessel you use. The beer needs time after fermentation to mature. Weather it be in a carboy for 4 weeks or 2 week in a carboy and 2 weeks in a keg, it shouldn't matter.

I agree, I don't think it matters what vessel you use. The beer needs time after fermentation to mature. Weather it be in a carboy for 4 weeks or 2 week in a carboy and 2 weeks in a keg, it shouldn't matter.

what are you and the rest of the board's thoughts on this about bottling? In theory 1 vessel or 50 vessels shouldn't make a difference either? Carbonating will take its time, but a lot of people say it will still be green after being carbonated? can this be remedied by extra time aging in a fermenter or bright tank?

depends on type of beer as well...apa and ipas are better fresh. darker beers are best aged.

what are you and the rest of the board's thoughts on this about bottling? In theory 1 vessel or 50 vessels shouldn't make a difference either? Carbonating will take its time, but a lot of people say it will still be green after being carbonated? can this be remedied by extra time aging in a fermenter or bright tank?

If bottling high SG beers I will let them sit awhile longer in a single carboy to clear as much there instead of my bottles. Yes you will have some settling in a bottle, but the larger the gravity, the longer in carboys. Catch my drift??

Latest posts

Back